How to improve or lessen diarrhea???

My 11 month old has a severe case of diarrhea with a slight fever. He has been drinking pedialite but it is going right through him. Is it ok to give him some formula if he wants to drink it. Is there any other tricks rather than the BRAT diet that you have found works to bind up the bowels?

Mama2Jackson

Asked by Mama2Jackson at 10:08 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Formula will probably make the diarrhea worse.... because of the lactose. You could try a soy or lactose free formula in the same brand if he really wants his formula... but do half strength to start off with.
    The BRAT diet is best to bind things
    I would keep pushing the fluids....
    With very watery large diarrhea they can still become dehydrated even with drinking so watch for signs of dehyrdation... no wet diapers, lethargic, sunken eyes
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:07 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• The brats diet is what we use and it works great. If you need to make it more interesting for him then you could cut the toast into strips and let him dip it into applesause or mashed bananas. He is ok to have some formula, but do keep up his fluids and call the dr if you have any concerns.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 1:50 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• how long's this been going on? have you seen a doctor? if it goes on for more than 48 hours take him in. cheese is "binding".
    Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, & Toast (dry, no butter or jelly) is best for stopping the problem. no juice. no other fruit. tylenol or tepid baths will help the fever. good luck!
    vickiathome

Answer by vickiathome at 4:32 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Could be the Rotavirus or Rotovirus (not sure what the difference between the 2 are). My kids had it when they were very young and the diarrhea lasted an entire week and it was CONSTANT.

We used the BRAT diet and pedialyte. The most important thing is to keep the hydrated. If you don't keep pushing the fluids, baby will end up in hospital with a painful IV.

Applesauce is good and has lots of water in it. If he's getting tired of it, maybe try sprinkling a little cinnamon on top. Or like someone else mentioned...let him use it as a dip for his toast.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:44 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Formula is better for him that pedialyte. The sugar in it makes diarrhea worse.

Starch, starch, starch.....if it's full of carbs, give it to him! Potatoes, breads, crackers, pastas, applesauce, bananas, cheese, peanut butter (only if he's had it before!!!)....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:31 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• BRATS diet works well for my son, did it since he was an infant, and it was told to me by his doctor. Any recommendation any mom gives you: check with your doctor or the doctor's nurse. They may have other ideas. But with this diet it is supposed to clear up loose stool and help get the body feeling better. B: bananas (pureed or lumpy will work) R: rice A: apples T: toast or toast like products such as crackers S: supplement milk (we were told to use Pedialyte or Gatorade). Again, check with your child's doctor by just doing a simple phone call. Usually they have a fee on-call service too for questions such as these. The BRATS diet helps my son every time and helps me feel calm because I know what I can do to help him over the hump of being sick. Also works well for vomiting as well. Good for any age.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:51 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• cont...for my child formula was worse and made him dehydrate. As I said, with any health advice you get call your doctor to double check. I do. I just call and say, "Some moms recommended this or that and it appeals to me. What do you think?" They know your child, the meds your child takes, ect... so they are in the best position to ease him/her through an illness.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:54 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I'm not sure what the BRAT diet is, I've never heard of it but the applesauce, potatoes, cheese is what I was always told. The other thing that I learned about and have used for my children is a good probiotic. You can get it in capsule or liquid at a health food store. I usually would need to give 2 per day when they were sick like this but it worked. Check with your Dr. first. Of course, most Dr's don't recommend anything that is natural.
    Free2bmom

Answer by Free2bmom at 6:05 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Another way to get probiotics other than a pill is yogurt...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:46 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I've always done crackers, toast and bananas. Also instead of pedialyte we would give the kids small amounts of gatorade (one ounce every 10 minutes) not too much at once because it will aggravate an already irritated stomach. Get one of those medicine cups that goes up to 3 tbsp. Give about 2 tbsp every 10 minutes or so of the gatorade, or if you really don't want to be doing it that often, give him like 1/4 cup every 30 minutes or so.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:06 AM on Jan. 5, 2009