what can I give my newborn for constipation?

The doctors gave him enfamil vitamins with iron and I am afraid it constipated him he has not had a bowel movement in 3 days.

firsttimemom640

Asked by firsttimemom640 at 10:14 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Newborn, you should call your pedi. It's normal for up to two weeks without a BM.
    Anonymous

• Small amounts of apple juice.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 10:15 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Anon is right, I wouldn't try to do anything unless he is straining, and obviously uncomfortable.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 10:18 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Call you doc. if your breast feeding it could me what you are eating.
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 10:18 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• My pediatrician told me to give him sugar water -- 3 oz of water and 1 teaspoon of sugar, or Karo syrup, 2 oz of water and a teaspoon of syrup. We also put our son on Enfamil Gentlease. But all doctors are different so call your doctor first before giving him anything. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• I agree with anon. My grandma told me this one, and boy oh boy does it work. 1 Teaspoon of Karo Syrup and 3 oz of water will do the trick almost every time!
    lovinmomto3

Answer by lovinmomto3 at 10:31 PM on Jan. 3, 2009