Breastfeeding and Pumping Milk Question

I stay at home with my daughter and rarely have pumped until now, since she is beginning to eat rice cereal and I mix it with breastmilk. I have a medela pump and most of the time I store the milk in the bottle in the fridge. I know it is normal for milk to seperate, but how do you get it to blend back in? I read not to shake it, but I swirl it to no end and it never seems to mix back in. Soon she will be going to a sitter for a few hours a week, and I don't want to deprive her of the fatty part of the milk. Any suggestions?

MommyJanelle

Asked by MommyJanelle at 10:23 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• http://www.bflrc.com/ljs/breastfeeding/shakenot.htm

Don't Shake the Milk

Linda J. Smith, BSE, FACCE, IBCLC

Why not?

Because shaking expressed mothers' milk (or boiling or freezing it) denatures the shaped molecules of the protective proteins, leaving only the pieces - the amino acids - the parts. Lactoferrin, lysozyme, and other protective components work their protection magic when they are in their original shaped molecular structure. Some components remain intact, even during freezing, shaking or heating. They not only protect the gut from many kinds of infection, but also prevent inflammation of the gut lining. Even broken up, the separate amino acids are still really good stuff and are digested by the baby as nutrients.

MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 5:21 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Wow, I had never heard not to shake it, I always shook mine and didn't have any problems.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 10:24 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Hmm I always shook mine I never heard not to, so that's interesting. I'll have to look into that.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 10:25 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Me either, I always shook mine. I have never heard not to shake it.
    lovinmomto3

Answer by lovinmomto3 at 10:27 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I just checked "la Leche League", and it says to gently shake it.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 10:32 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I didn't "shake" but I would turn the bottle over a few times. . .
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:33 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Hmm while looking into this I didn't find anything that stated not to shake...at least not yet...but I found something that said before you mix fresh milk with cold milk let it sit out first? Anyone know why you do that? I always added freshly pumped milk into the same container as the milk already in the fridge.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 10:36 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Hmm... I am trying to find the article I read that said not to shake it. I will post the link as soon as I find it. :)
    MommyJanelle

Answer by MommyJanelle at 10:39 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• "Hmm while looking into this I didn't find anything that stated not to shake...at least not yet...but I found something that said before you mix fresh milk with cold milk let it sit out first? Anyone know why you do that? I always added freshly pumped milk into the same container as the milk already in the fridge."

Because you can make it spoil. ALWAYS cool to the same temp. Better yet...a pumping is a feeding. No real need to combine.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:46 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Sometimes the fat doesn't really combine well. I wouldn't worry too much..it still comes out of the bottle.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:47 PM on Jan. 3, 2009