Anyone else done this? Does it work?

Ok my doctor put me on birth control for three months. When i quit taking them he wants me start up ttc again for one month. And if i am not pregnant within that month he wants to take the next step. So has anyone done this, and if so didi it work? And what exactly is the next step?

BIMOM21

Asked by BIMOM21 at 10:27 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• Well from what we discussed he estimates i am only ovulating every 30-45 days, and that even though my periods seem normal to me they really are not. He said the month I stop BC will be a really fertile time. Me and dh have been ttc for 3 years 9 months and 4 days, and i just seen a doc for it yesterday. But hopefully my dream will come true.
    BIMOM21

Answer by BIMOM21 at 10:39 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• It sounds like he wants to try to get your cycle regular and then you'll have a better idea of when you're ovulating after taking BC pills, maybe? The next step could be fertility drugs? I know we went 2 1/2 years of trying before going on Clomid. Sorry I'm not much help. Good Luck though!
    Anonymous

• doing that seems to me would make it harder for your cycle to regulate. I am no doctor but both my parents are they don't get it either. You might ovulate more regularly but fertilizing your egg will be harder bc of all the hormones form the BC pills. I don't know good luck, maybe get a second opinion?

If you don't know what the "next step" means, I would ask your doctor.
    xox

Answer by xox at 11:51 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• If you trust your doctor, then follow his advice. Ask him/her what he plans for the next step, and what alternatives you have. When I wasn't getting my period regularly with my first son, my doctor gave me Provera to get my period and Clomid to make me ovulate. It worked, immediately. I have 4 kids now. Good luck
    Scimecamommy

Answer by Scimecamommy at 8:29 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• According to my RE (fertility specialist), birth control pills are one of the drugs they prescribe the most to women trying to conceive. She told me it gives your body a chance to rest for a cycle, and what happens after you stop taking them helps the doctors understand more about how your reproductive system is functioning. So, it sounds crazy, but it's really pretty common practice. I don't know what the next step might be for you; it could be further testing or evaluation, or possibly a round of Clomid. Good luck.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:32 AM on Jan. 5, 2009