Paint me a picture: HOW HARD IS IT REALLY TO HAVE A BABY?

I have 4 kids that are 10,9,8 and 7 years old. Awesome kids they care about each other and my husband and me. They are all hard workers, doing well in school, happy and helpful. They respond well to discipline and are relatively neat. If I had a baby right now, because I want to experience pregnancy and having a BABY (long story, I was around when my kids were babies but I wasn't close to them and only got to experience nurturing the youngest for 3 months before mom from hell took him back from me before everything was legalized) I still have memories of the little guy lying on my chest in the dimly lit room and holding his little body... I loved it so much but I never actually had to take care of a baby. TELL ME. CAN I HAVE A BABY AND STILL WORK? I UNDERSTAND IT COSTS 600/MONTH IN GENERAL TO SUPPORT A BABY...I CAN SAVE THE MONEY FOR THE TIME I NEED TO TAKE OFF. HOW MUCH TIME DO I REALLY NEED AND WHY?

blowingsteam

Asked by blowingsteam at 10:28 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I'm confused, these 4 kids are step kids or adopted?
    Also, to be honest. I would not plan to have another child if I could not stay at home with them I think children deserve a sahm whenever possible.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 10:33 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• ive been there my kids whole life, i work, im a good mom, i clean i play, and i dont get enough time for my self, i dont get enough sleep. sometimes i just want to run away, but i cant. being a mother has been the toughest job i will ever have, but its also the most rewarding. i just cant wait till my oldest is 8 and my youngest is 5, ill be good to go then. good luck
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 10:33 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Precious333:
    My four are adopted, from a family member that kept dumping them on my husband and I then taking them back, until we finally took legal custody. I work almost toally out of the house on a Real Estate team Where I only have to leave the house M,W,F while the kids are at school then I work Saturdays. I make between $2,500-$4,000/ month, 30 hours a week, the only times I leave while the kids are home are on Saturdays and Thursdays from 5-9. So I'm trying to figure out how much money I need to save for time that I REALLY can't work. Now you know the situation and my work schedule.
    blowingsteam

Answer by blowingsteam at 10:37 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I am sorry you have missed out on that joy. I guess the expense depends are you breastfeeding are they going to daycare. I don't know what formula cost I know 9 years ago it was outrageous. So I would go see how much that is first. You can figure about 1 1/2 packs of large pack of diapers a week. That is about 20-30 depending on brand, and I don't know what daycare cost I am glad I am able to afford being a sahm. And I think Precious is just a lil wrong there she makes it seem if you can't stay at home don't have kids. Well being on both sides of the spectrum, it doesn't matter if you can afford it or not you will still love and provide for them. And if you have any bills to pay monthly put back at least 3 mnths worth of all your bills. Just in case you need it. Hope I am making sense. I am a bit scatterbrained at times.
    lovinmomto3

Answer by lovinmomto3 at 10:42 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• TELL ME. CAN I HAVE A BABY AND STILL WORK?

Yes. I did.

I UNDERSTAND IT COSTS 600/MONTH IN GENERAL TO SUPPORT A BABY..

Your mileage will vary on cost. Child care, supplies, feeding if you don't breastfeed (which is free), etc etc.

.I CAN SAVE THE MONEY FOR THE TIME I NEED TO TAKE OFF. HOW MUCH TIME DO I REALLY NEED AND WHY?

Six weeks at least for recovery. More if you can get it...there's no minimum. You don't HAVE to stay home...and for some of us, that';s actually better.

However. If you value SLEEP and PRIVACY and keeping a clean house...consider your family complete. Because you won't have any of those things.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:44 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• 600 dollars a month for one kid?! I hope thats including daycare. Because my son is 9 months old and he is only on average about 150? Maybe. I answered your question earlier. You deserve to have your own baby. You are obviously really wanting one if your posting a question like the one earlier today. If you don't you might regret it when you CANT have your own kids anymore. I think you would be perfectly fine. :)

Good Luck!
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 10:45 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• If your talking about time off.. my friends that are working moms usually take off 3 to 4 months it jus depends on you and what you wanna do..
    MiSs.SmOkEy

Answer by MiSs.SmOkEy at 10:53 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Well my work gave me 8 weeks off and that time is almost up for me and I cant even imagine leaving my DS. Its wonderful to have a baby if you can stay home with them and then you will have that bond you want.
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 11:20 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I think it's very easy to have a baby...my son is very good most of the time...except right now because he is sick. I love being a mom and I couldn't imagine my life without him. He's only 4.5 mos old but I already want another. I think babies are easier to raise than any other age group JMO. You can have a baby and still work but I'd take at least 3 mos off. I still don't want to go back to work but i'm going to have to soon. He doesn't cost much, I breast feed so all we have to buy is wipes and diapers. If he went to daycare full time it would cost 600 a mo just for that so check where u live. Get the book called baby bargains if you can it's a good resource. pm me for more help I can't write a lot on here.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 11:38 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Right now it'd be nice with the baby being the only one at home since the other kids are in school. Also since they are old enough to help out, that's great! As for the money, as long as you spend wisely and you both have good jobs, go for it! I also agree with the breastfeeding. That alone will save you so much money. Working from home would also save you on daycare.
    kbates1208

Answer by kbates1208 at 11:50 PM on Jan. 3, 2009