Sitting up on his own

My son just turned four months old. Is there anything I should be doing to get him to start sitting up?? I've heard that babies anywhere from 4-5 months will start and I just don't see it happening anytime soon. I don't want to rush it if he's not ready, I just want to know if I should be doing anything to help him or is it something he learns on his own?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:29 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• With my son I would sit there on the floor with him with music playing (kids songs) and hold him in a sitting position and sing and dance with him. I am not sure if thats what got him sitting up, but I'm sure it might have helped a little!
    ctsassy

Answer by ctsassy at 10:33 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I did the same as the PP. And I would prop her against a pillow or something. Eventually she could just do it without the pillow ... I dont think there is much else you can do besides let her use those muscles.
    Samantha19

Answer by Samantha19 at 10:36 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I agree, my little one loved the sitting position, so she often sat propped that way on my lap, on the couch next to me, or rested in the whole of my legs when I sat indian style on the floor. She started sitting on her own quite early, but I think mostly because she was so into that position. She will not stay on her belly longer than 20 seconds, I swear! So she is 6 months and has only rolled over once or twice and I'm afraid she won't learn to crawl!
    MommyJanelle

Answer by MommyJanelle at 10:42 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Some babies won't do it for several more months, and there's nothing wrong with that! You should never have to push him to do anything, ignore those timelines! No pressure! :)

That being said, you can prop him up in your lap. For some reason my little guy (same age as your's) can sit up really well in a lap but not on the floor. Once in awhile I'll sit him on the floor to see how he does (I have to catch him when he tips over a LOT). I'm not really concerned about when he'll do it on his own, he's already growing way too fast!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 10:46 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• My son didn't sit up at 4 months but did at 5 months. Don't worry.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 10:46 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• My son loved his Bumbo chair. I think it may have helped him build up the muscles he needed to sit up, but it definitely motivated him to want to. He did sit up earlier than most babies I know so maybe it did help.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 10:48 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• BTW, my son turned and sat up really early but then didn't walk until 14 months. They do everything at their own pace.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 10:49 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• My son was supported sitter at 4-5 months and now at almost 6 months he sits pretty well on his own. We give him practice time daily.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:51 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• MY HUBBY WOULD SIT OUR LIL ONE AND LEANHER FORWARD,BUT NOT TO LONG CUZ IM SURE IT HURTS THERE BELLY.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:29 AM on Jan. 4, 2009