Is it okay to feed her less, more often?

I followed my newborn's lead initially, and she was eating 3 oz of formula about every 3 hours. But after a few days she started throwing up almost everything she ate, and I think it was because she was gulping it down way too fast. I started feeding her only 2 oz at a time (and burping her a ton during the feeding!), and it seemed to help. But now she eats every 2 hours; sometimes she's even hungry after only an hour and a half.

Is it okay to feed her this frequently? It's the only solution that's worked so far to keep her from hurling everything up. :-P haha

aliceryannesmom

Asked by aliceryannesmom at 10:36 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If she is hungry feed her. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer, just depends on the needs of the child.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 10:37 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• you could buy one of those slow flow nipples maybe that will work
    MiSs.SmOkEy

Answer by MiSs.SmOkEy at 10:37 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• When my son threw up what he ate I changed formulas and he was fine. It turned out he was allergic or sensitive to something in the regular formula. I'd say you should feed her when she is hungry, and to stop her before she is full doesn't seem like something I've heard of. Check with the pediatrician about the formula and about the throwing up.

Answer by Bmat at 10:48 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Sounds like a perfect plan!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:49 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I had to do this with my son ... small portions more often ... worked best for him. Follow your mommy intuition. Sounds like youre doing a great job already ... !
    jennie829

Answer by jennie829 at 10:56 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• that is what our peds doc told us to do when our daughter started that. she said that for some reason babies seem to hit a point when they go from eating normally to throwing up most of what they eat for awhile. she said to feed her 2 oz at a time, take a break, burp her, and then do 2 more until she is done. it worked great and after about 2 weeks of this she was able to eat a full serving at once again.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 10:57 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Thanks everyone!
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 11:03 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• have you tried switching formula brands? when my daughter was first born, i had her on enfamil, but there was something about it that made her spit up all the time! so i switched her to similac, and shes doin just fine :D, also she could be allergic you might try switching formulas, and if that doesnt work, try lactose free, or soy
    x_tinky_x

Answer by x_tinky_x at 11:33 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• As long as your not stopping at two ounces and she's still hungry, I think this is fine. If your worried about her feeding too fast, though, I'd definitely look into a slower-flowing nipple. Good luck!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 11:59 PM on Jan. 3, 2009