More breastmilk questions

After answering a post about breast milk it had me researching about some stuff and I was wondering how many of you sterilized your baby feeding stuff? and if so how long...I never did and my baby is 4.5 mos. It's recommended until 3 mos. Also, I wondered why we warm milk up before we give it to them? I've always done it but I never really knew why and I couldn't find the answer. I think it has something to do with it cold milk causing tummy aches...does anyone know?

britni11

Asked by britni11 at 10:48 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I sterilize all my baby stuff like the bottles and nipples every day and use to steralize my pump also when I was still breastfeeding on a daily basis which was til seven months. I also used liners cuz it was convient when on the go. I always warm up my babys milk cuz breastmilk is warm not cold so formula and expressed milk should be to cuz nature intended it that way . Iono dats jux my opinion.
    wainne

Answer by wainne at 4:21 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• warm milk helps with gas that is what i was told. the other thing about the bottles and thing when i first take them out of the box we did it but after that we just washed them unless after being sick. at my moms we had to boil everything but i have a dishwasher that does just that.
    Wyattsmom205

Answer by Wyattsmom205 at 10:51 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I bought a bottle sterilizer but only used it a few times. We just washed everything really well. I did sterilize my pump stuff every few days. 

Heating up bottle isn't necessary, but most babies won't drink cold milk.  I tried to feed mine right out of the fridge, but he wouldn't really take it.  So when I made bottles I'd get to at least room temperature.  He really them warm better, but would tolerate them as long as they weren't cold.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 10:53 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Yes I did sterilize with my first. The second no. But I used the disposable liners. And yes it is partly cause of tummy aches and partly cause they can't tolerate extreme hot or cold. Or so I have been told. Doesn't mean that is 100%
    lovinmomto3

Answer by lovinmomto3 at 10:53 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Warm is how they get it "from the tap."

I sterilized only sporadically.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:58 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• yah I use the liners to and I hardly even pump but I throw my pumping stuff in the dishwasher. I was just wondering because sometimes we're out and I'll take a bottle with some ice packs and when he's hungry isn't always the most convenient time to find a sink to warm it up in. Sometimes I just give it to him but I didn' t know if there was any harm in that.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 10:59 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Cold milk is kind of rough on the tummy. Plus, would you want all your meals served to you cold? And a warm bottle is very comforting to an infant. I mean, think about if it were you......would you want to be given a cold bottle when you want something warm and comforting? Not i.
    boy_or_girl

Answer by boy_or_girl at 11:00 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• zfor the first three months, I sterilized everything daily. Now I just do it a couple times a week. No real reason, I just switched things up! No wonder my baby is such a kook! ;D
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 11:58 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I have never heard that cold milk causes tummy aches till I got on here. I actually had one of my kids that would, and still will, only drink things cold.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 12:40 AM on Jan. 4, 2009