7 year old and glasses.

my seven year old girl just had to get glasses she is supposed to wear them all the time but she absolutely hates them and crys hysterically when i make her wear them. I feel really bad because none of her friends wear glasses and she has alot of them. I dont know what i should do to get her to want to wear them. i think they are really cute.

busygal26

Asked by busygal26 at 11:08 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Tell her when she gets certain age if she has been wearing them correctly she could get some contacts. I was really worried when we let our 9yo get contacts. Asked the dr what the best age for that was and he said some kids was wearing them at 5!! Well I couldn't ever go for that, but surprise my 9yo got use to her glasses and hates bothering with the contacts and she is now 12. So ask your dr about it and talk to your daughter.
    lovinmomto3

Answer by lovinmomto3 at 11:28 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Maybe find some books about getting glasses or a tv show. I know some characters like Arthur have done shows. Also the American girl company has a doll named Molly that wears glasses, maybe some toy like that. Something to show her she is not alone.

Also explain to her that everyone has something different about them, like freckles, birthmarks, and it's what makes us unique.

Hope that helps.

J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 12:01 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I don't really know. My 6yo wears glasses but she's had them since she was 18 months old so she is used to them. Plus she can't really see (she can't read anyway) without them so she automatically puts them on. None of the other kids in her class have glasses but she's so used to everyone and their uncle telling her how cute she is she loves them.
    Has she had them long enough to get used to them? I ask because the first few days/week of wearing them can give you a vertigo feeling. I've been wearing glasses since I was 9 and when I got a new pair last summer I felt sick for days because they made me so dizzy and my prescription didn't even change, just the frames. It takes awhile to get used to them and that might be bothering her.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:30 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I think you need to make a game out of it and make it fun. She may feel like there is something wrong with her because she has to wear them. I know that a friend of mine's daughter just got them and she is very excited about them.

She went to school and told everyone she had a special surprise coming soon. When she got her glasses she went into the class and the teacher let her tell the class about them.

Not sure if it helps. Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 4:47 AM on Jan. 4, 2009