how long do ectopic pregnancies last?

how long can u be pregnant with an ectopic pregnancy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:10 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i had one a few years ago and it almost killed me cause i waited to long to go to the hospital i was bleeding to death inside,so this is not something you want to mess with at all.when i got out of surg. i woke up with 21 staples! i was 6weeks along
    Anonymous

• Not very long if they are in the tube. Outside the tube ectopic, I suppose longer depending on the area. I have heard cases where the pregnacy was carried to term, but I am sure that is rare.

I had an ectopic that also almost killed me. I was about 7-8 weeks along and it has already ruptured my tube and I was bleeding internally. I required emergency surgery as well.

The worse part was I had kept complaining and showing up to the ER knowing something was wrong, but no one really listened.

J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 11:23 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• long enough till in ruptures in your fallopiane tube..then its a race to the hospital so you dont die..if you have an eptopic pregnancy you need to go to the hospital ASAP..they have to do surgery to take it out.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 11:31 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• do you know for sure you're having an eptopic pregnancy?? and if so, how do you know? did the dr tell you?
    tnteaton

• oh and to the post above, if its not in your fallopian tube, its not an eptopic pregnancy
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 11:32 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Actually tnteaton, you are incorrect.

Ectopic pregnacy is any pregnacy occuring outside the uterus. Does NOT only mean the tube.

Here is just one link to back that up. I don't give out bad information.
    http://www.estronaut.com/a/ectopic_pregnancy.htm
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 11:37 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• hmm. thanks for the link, ill have to check it out. i was always told by all the dr.s that it was just in the fallopian tube.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 12:12 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• 8 Weeks is generally when your tube will rupture, most states have a law that if you are diagnosed withan ectopic pregnancy you have to have it terminated (for lack of better word) with in 24 hours of diagnoses...an ectopic pregnancy *can* be life threatening. I however was diagnosed with an ectopic pregnancy when I was 16, by the time the Dr. got my parents to his office and explained what was going on...and my transport to the hospital went through, they did another ultrasound and the baby had released itself. So I had an ectopic miscarriage I guess is how you would put it.
    megmckn

Answer by megmckn at 12:40 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I think the doctors just focus on the tubes, makes in an easy explanation,layman's terms so to speak. If they get too technical with women over something rare I think it would scare too many people who would think any pain, twinge is an ectopic, KWIM ?

If you read about ectopic's on any site or ask a doctor more specifically the actual definition is anywhere outside the uterus. They can and do occur in the cervix, abdomen etc...Having been through one I did a lot of reading afterwards is why I know.

Also there was a great show on Discovery or TLC about rare ectopic pregnancies that occurred outside the tube. It featured three women, very interesting how they all survived.

J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 12:44 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• http://kidshealth.org/parent/pregnancy_newborn/pregnancy/ectopic.html

Here is another think for the Original poster or anyone else who wants more info about ectopics. It's easy to read etc...has links to additional info and a list of symptoms.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 12:51 AM on Jan. 4, 2009