Breastfeeding trouble...

My beautiful daughter was born on the 29th. So it's only been 5 days. My nipples aren't inverted or flat but they aren't big enough for her to latch onto. She also is a little tongue tied. So at first, I was using a nipple shield. That was going well but she wasn't eating enough. I don't know if I gave up to soon or she just wasn't into it. So she was losing too much weight. I had to start supplementing with formula (didn't have a pump yet). That bummed me out pretty bad. I was really sad that I was failing at breastfeeding. So I got a pump. But I am not sure if it is because I am pumping too much or if I am just not capable of producing enough milk. I just started tonight. The first time I pumped, I produced about 3 oz. Same with the second time. This time I only produced an oz between both breasts. Maybe I am pumping to soon? Or is it because she isn't using my breasts at all now?

MamaKeetz

Asked by MamaKeetz at 11:27 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The oz doesn't matter, just keep trying her at the breast, see an LC too. You can do it! Pumping at this point isn't that great of an idea, she will balance your supply for you.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 11:28 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I heard that you need to have her to your breast at least a little because of hormones or something that make my milk come in. Please give me some tips. I am really bummed that I can't get her to use my nipples. Is it too late to try to get her to use my nipples still? Maybe a lactation consultant could help? I was going to call one on Monday. Advice please. Also was wondering if pumping is as good for the uteris to shrink as her actually being to my breast! I am just so confused. Websites that could help would be good to! Thanks cafemoms :)
    MamaKeetz

Answer by MamaKeetz at 11:28 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• One more question, is using my nipple shield as good as her actually latching on to my nipple with her mouth?
    MamaKeetz

Answer by MamaKeetz at 11:29 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• A good website it the La Leche League one ( you can google it), but yeah definitely call an LC, your hospital should have hooked you up with their number. It's not too late! For sure if she's only 5 days old. I think another website is kellymom for breastfeeding too. Good luck!!!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 11:31 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• The pump will help pull your nipples out so she will be able to latch easier. Just keep trying and you will get it! I was at the same place, I had the milk but he wasnt latching well. We just kept practicing and he finally got it. Practice makes perfect and your body knows how much milk to make for the baby. The more you feed the more you make. Just keep at it! GL
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 11:34 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• First, keep your head up, your baby can sense you're tense or nervous. Everything will be fine. Secondly, see a lactation consultant, because they can give you hands on help. Your local hospital probably has this as a free service. If not, call the pediatrician. I had problems the first few days and the nurse sat with me, showed me what to differently, and tada - everything went smoothly from there on out. Do you have any friends that have breast fed? Don't be shy and ask for help. Thirdly, keep at it. Bring her to your breast at every feeding, then supplement with formula if needed. As everyone else said, don't worry about the amount you pump. Please contact me if you have any more questions, I was in the same boat as you and I know how hard it can be.
    MommyJanelle

Answer by MommyJanelle at 11:35 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• It could be that your pumping too often, but don't worry about that! Pumping often is going to help stimulate your milk-makers. If I go four or more hours between pumpings (and don't nurse, either), I'll get four or more ounces out of each. If I go every two, I'll get half as much...if even that.

Stress plays a BIG factor in how successful you are, so RELAX. Breastfeeding is NOT easy, but you'll get there! I'd consider working with a lactation consultant, as someone who can see how your two are doing is going to be able to help you a LOT more successfully than someone online. Good luck!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 11:53 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• First of all...I was in your same boat pm me for more info. I was an emotional wreck because of him not latching right and I wasn't going to give my son a bottle because I didnt' want him to refuse the breast so I went as far as syringe feeding him. Don't worry about how much you are pumping out 1-2 oz per feeding is more than enough for her. Her stomach is only the size of a golf ball. Babies get more than you would pump anyway. I would use the nipple shield. Having her suck does help trigger your body to make milk. If you can use the shield for a couple minutes...long enough to draw your nipple out and then have her latch on try to do that...if not just keep using the shield. She'll grow out of it. At 2 mos my son didn't need it anymore and we're doing GREAT!!! He's exclusively breast fed at 4.5 mos and I never have any breast pain when he eats like I used to.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 12:02 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• It is NORMAL for a breastfed baby to lose up to 10% of it's weight in the first week of life. They don't usually make it back up to their birth weight until they're about 2 weeks old. If you had an IV, she's full of the fluids you got during delivery, and that water shedding is going to *look* like weight loss, when it's not really. GO back to just the breast. If she's putting out enough diapers (4-6 wet diapers per day) she's detting enough to eat. Don't trust the pump, pumping is not a good indicator of supply.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Breastfeeding can be so hard! I had to supplement my son at first also... don't let it get you down. Formula doesn't equal failure. I would keep trying to get her to latch on. As she gets older she will get stonger and will be able to pull your nipple out and have a nice latch. SO keep trying so she doesn't forget. Breastfeed first and then supplement her.
    As far as what you have pumped, it really depends on the time of day and how often you are pumping on how much you will get at a time.
    With the nipple shield I would try to get her to latch without it... for me if had a big impact my supply... it just wasn't as good. When I finally was able to get him to breastfeed without it, he really took off (gained 3 lbs in the month I got rid of it!)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:24 AM on Jan. 4, 2009