What religions do you think are cults?

I'm wondering if you can, name one religion that you think is a cult. I know by definition ALL religions are cults, but I am wondering which one you think goes overboard even moreso than the others. Can you share which religions you believe are cults and why?

Should be fun to read these answers!

lovetoteachec

Asked by lovetoteachec at 11:34 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Whoa boy.... this could get NASTY...

I wouldn't say one particular religion or another. It's individuals within any religion that take things to a HUGE extreme that people are willing to off themselves based on some cockamamie acid trip.
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 11:39 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Baptists- they are so extreme about EVERYTHING to the point that it ruins it for everyone else. I think Baptists are a cult.
    Anonymous

• Scientology. They are just way to out there. Any religion that says the more money you have the higher up you are is BS, and Mormons. Anyone ever really look at how they came about.
    Anonymous

• Honestly I believe all religions are cults. Look it up in the dictionary. The definition will lead you to the answer that any religion can be a cult!
    Ariellesmomma

Answer by Ariellesmomma at 11:39 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Scientology
    Anonymous

• Christianity
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:41 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Every religion is to an extent. I have an Cult that live in my town. One of the leaders we just put in jail for 30 years for sexual assault. House of Yaway. They are some freaky people. BTW they say that we were supposed to die a few months ago. I think they are on the FBI's watch list for apocalyptic cults.
    CorCorsmomma

Answer by CorCorsmomma at 11:45 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• In the usual - negative - connotation, any group-think which pressures a person to subjugate their individual thinking and judgment to the group's proclamations is a "cult". Humanity is now developed to the level that most people around the world do have their ego - their "self" - awake inside and available for them to guide themselves. No religion ( nor any other "ism" like communism, globalism, consumerism ...) is ok if it substitutes itself for a person's better judgment.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 11:50 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I think the religion of medicine and the medical establishment can most certainly be looked at as a cult. People follow their doctors blindly, doing things they are told to do without question, even when said things could ultimately lead to personal harm or death. Doctors instruct their patients, aka followers, to do things that are unnatural and possibly harmful all in the name of medicine, and ask the followers to trust them without adequate explanation.
    Anonymous

• Sounds like a Scientology way of thinking anon 1055...
    Anonymous