When should I introduce a pillow for my 18 month old to sleep on and what type of pillow would you recommend (i.e. firm, soft, etc.)?

badpenny74

Asked by badpenny74 at 11:48 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I gave Xylia one not long after I put her in the toddler bed. Well before 18 months but I don't remember when exactly. We have one of those real thin pillows for her. I really wouldn't do too fluffy or too firm. Honestly I'd probably use an old well worn pillow to start out with.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 11:51 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• My oldest got one at 2 just because we never thought to give her one before but then we noticed she would use one while laying on the floor watching TV and would fall asleep like that.
    My other 3 got one when they were each 1. We usually just gave them an old squished down pillow. My middle daughter got one of those travel pillows (which was also squished down) and fell in love with it. She's 6 now and still uses it (well we replaced it with a new one but she insisted on a travel pillow and not a full sized one).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:36 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Not to insult anyone but no matter how clean your home may be, all old pillows have dust mites which are microscopic bugs. So I definately wouldn't recommend an old worn out pillow for your 18 month old's soft little babyface to sleep on. With that said, my recommendation would be an inexpensive hypoallergenic pillow to start with. Kids drool, get sick, have bedwetting accidents so keep in mind you may be replacing it sooner rather than later. And I say hypoallergenic just to be sure your childs the first pillow won't cause any skin rashes due to unexpected allergic reactions to feathers or some synthetic materials. Any department store should have them, we get some decent priced ones from Target. Hope that helps!
    carrie1218

Answer by carrie1218 at 12:45 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• i asked my daughters dr the same thing she told me that she could have a pillow when she could hold her head up
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• A soft flat pillow is probably good, thats what I use for my kids. Both mine got pillows in their cribs at around 1 year old, to help them learn to lay straight and not toss and turn and lay all over the place, so that when they moved to a toddler bed they'd have less chance of falling out of the bed. :-)
    Rachell9503

Answer by Rachell9503 at 1:21 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I let my 15 month old use one of his small, flat, stuffed animals (it happens to be an alligator) as a neck pillow. It works well, and is small and flat enough that it poses no danger.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 2:56 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• i introduced my kid to a pillow when i moved them to a toodler bed witch was around 12 to 14 months!!!!
    alichapa

Answer by alichapa at 7:56 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• We can give them Pillows! After all the talk about whats safe and not safe i didnt think it was because it could cover her face in her sleep.. Well happy birthday lil girl you get a pillow lol :) This is why i love Cafemom..
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 9:05 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• they sell a toddler pillow at babies r us and wallmart.com its 20 bucks...way too expensive for us. if you have a walgreens nearby, they sell a travel pillow (kinda like what you would get on an airplane. its perfect and its washable. cost is 2.50 a pillow and a 2 package of pillow cases was also 2.50 so for 5 bucks we got my son a pillow and he loves it. its just his size and it fits perfectly in his toddler bed. good luck
    Mare1180

Answer by Mare1180 at 1:50 PM on Jan. 5, 2009

• I talked to the pediatrician and he said you can pay lots of money for the toddler pillows at the store but the thing that he recommends is a travel pillow. I got one for my daughter and it is just her size and fits her toddler bed very nicely.

singlemom5481

Answer by singlemom5481 at 2:46 PM on Jan. 5, 2009