My 4 1/2 year old step daughter has something wrong with her but her mom is to dumb. She humms all the time, clears her throat all the time, is very hateful to other kids, slow for her age development wise she plays with younger toys, does not understand simple direction, can not answer on why or what happened when she did something wrong, stutters at times, it took her a long time to potty train. Anyone have any ideas what it could be?

Krisnkelsy

Asked by Krisnkelsy at 12:08 AM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my sister is 7 and still like that, not the developmentally slow part though, I think she just does it because she doesn't want to be told what to do....or she doesn't want to get in trouble. But in your case I would take her to the doc, as a step mom you have that right...
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 12:10 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• my neice was the same way except for the throat clearing thing she wasnt potty trained till she was 4 and will me 5 in june she stutters and is hateful to everyone her reason was that she always saw her daddy be mean to her mommy and mommy always leaving then mommy didnt want her so she regressed and became mean
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 12:27 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• It sounds to me like a possibility for autism. Autism can have so many symptoms and each child has different problems. You should read up on it and see if any of it fits with her and talk to your husband about your concerns.
    boy_or_girl

Answer by boy_or_girl at 1:10 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Well, if the relationship between her mom and you/husband is stressful for the daughter, she probably hasn't learned how to deal with the stress, so this is her only way. I wouldn't diagnose her with anything unless you get her evaluated by a child psychologist. There's probably a lot more going on than you mention above, especially in regards to the family dynamics. Sounds like the poor child simply doesn't know how to cope...whether because of a physical, mental or emotional delay, can't say. Talk to your husband about getting counseling for his daughter - the court can order it if it's in the best interest of the child.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 12:12 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I wonder why you are so resentful towards your stepdaughter. What does your stepdaughters father think of this?  As a parent I would take my child to her pediatrician to see what is going on.  Did the child start to stutter when her parents divorced?  Are you kind to your stepdaughter? I don't know why you would say her mother is dumb, is it because she is not thinking the same as you?  Do you have children??  Bashing the childs mother will not help the child.  Sorry your so resentful!

Anonymous

• To anonymous...I think she thinks the mother is dumb cuz she doesn't seem to be wanting or trying to help the little girl.You know if you don't like the questions people post you don't have to answer them...enough people with actual advice can answer them.Enough with the bashing yourself.
    ArmyWife041408

Answer by ArmyWife041408 at 1:58 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I have been around my step daughter since she was 4 months old. I have 2 other children as well that are also girls ages 9 and 3. I see the way they have grown and act which is totally different then my step daughter, My husband sees the way she acts is different also. My husband was never married to her mom.. I am his first marriage. All the child has ever known is me and my husband together not her mom and him so that is not the reason she acts the way she does. I have said since she was little something is not right. Wanted advise before I took her to the doctor.
    Krisnkelsy

Answer by Krisnkelsy at 10:33 AM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Sounds like a form of autism-from the humming to the problems following directions. She could be modeling hateful behavior from someone else or she may have Asperger's which would mean she really does not understand that she is being hateful because she struggles understanding the social aspect of that. Talk to your DH and get her in for an evaluation
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:05 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Autism
    Obamaischange

Answer by Obamaischange at 12:01 AM on Jan. 18, 2009