When should u take your baby to thier first dentist appointment?

My son has four and i havent brushed them or taken him should i have already started??

FirstMomAnt

Asked by FirstMomAnt at 12:10 AM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You should definitely start brushing his teeth with a baby toothbrush and fluoride free toothpaste. I started taking my little boy for cleanings every 6 months when he was a year old. He sees a pediatric dentist and most of the time they won't see them until they are a year unless there is a problem.
    AlliO2

Answer by AlliO2 at 12:15 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I was told by my doc that a child should have their first dentist appt. at the age of one.
    momxlarge

Answer by momxlarge at 12:18 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I asked my dentist when I should being in my kids and he said by age 3 but even then he says they can wait till their 4 unless we have a great benefit plan or any concerns. I took my son at 21/2 because he told me his teeth were cracking. He told me often and I just wanted to make sure everything was ok!
    You can just wipe your baby's teeth with a cloth when you're cleaning their face. That's what I do. My dentist also told me that it's not necessary for kids to use tooth paste ot floss till their 5 or 6.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 12:43 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• You don't have to take them to get a cleaning but it's not a bad idea to take him to get him used to it. Yes you should definitely brush his teeth and don't let people tell you that "they're just baby teeth, they'll fall out" because it travels to their permanent teeth.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:53 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• AlliO2 hit the nail on the head!
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 2:43 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I would say it also depends on what your family history is like - do cavities/weak teeth run in your family? They do in ours (I brush and floss twice a day and still had 10 cavities at one point!) so I plan on taking DS to the dentist here sometime soon. He's 7 months old and has two little ones on the bottom. I'm pretty sure they will mostly show me how to brush his little teeth, but I want to make sure that he meets our dentist and gets a chance to get use to the office.
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 5:07 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• You should begin brushing as soon as a tooth starts to poke through. They should see a pediatric dentist beginning at 12 months.
    LaurLaur623

Answer by LaurLaur623 at 11:56 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Take your baby in as soon as they get their first tooth. Find a dentist that specializes in children's teeth - not a general dentist like you or I would have. My general dentist told me not to bring my kids in until they were 3. By the time they are 3 they can have so many problems already.

Start brushing and flossing right away and get them to the dentist with the first tooth and then every 6 months for a cleaning. It's never too early to prevent - it can be painful and expensive to wait. Trust me - I know from experience!
    sweetpea_me1

Answer by sweetpea_me1 at 12:00 PM on Jan. 4, 2009