Mormons-?'s for you

Mormons-Do you mind sharing how you are different than "normal" Christianity? I realize this (or any religious difference topic) could get nasty in the responses, but I ask because I'm genuinely interested. Is it true you reject the Trinity? That Jesus married & had kids? Are these beliefs that vary with individual churches within the church (if that makes sense!) I'm asking as anon because, quite frankly, there are some freaky/stalkerish people on CM lol!! :) (There are also kind, wonderful people on here, but I'm still worried about the weirdos) Thank you, and if you'd rather/also leave links for me to research, I would love to do so

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Cont'd...
    Most mormons would tell you to go to lds.org which is the church's main website. I personally think you should look at religioustolerance.com, its quite unbiased whereas you are getting the church's slant on things in their website...kwim?

There are a lot of things that are different but I hit on a couple you mentioned in your OP. Im sure others will come along to give more.

*Im no longer an active member of the church just fyi*
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 1:08 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Instead of Trinity you have what is referred to as the Godhead. God the father, Jesus the son, and the Holy Spirit...3 individual beings but 1 in purpose.
    Mormons believe in a modern day prophet, someone who still recieves revelation from God/Jesus. That was something restored through Joseph Smith. Many feel that once Christ died that ability to have a mouthpiece was taken, through Joseph it was restored.

Jesus being married and having kids isnt really spoken about much(at least it never was when I was growing up). It only seems natural that if he fulfilled all the laws at that time, one would be to marry as that was an important thing of the culture he was raised in.

BonesDragonDew

• Thank you! I will check out that website, & thanks for answering to the best of your recollection :) Do you mind me asking why you left? Was it a disinterest in religion in general, or the Mormon religion specifically? (I am thinking of converting to Mormonism, if I like what I find. I guess you could say I'm scouting around various branches of Christianity lol)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:15 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Because I realized I just didnt believe what they taught anymore. Some of it is good doctrine but the things I found out about their history that they vehemently deny and call anti-lies....made me really never want to go back.

I respect their rights to believe as they do and all that jazz so I wont say more. If you want to talk more you can message me.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 1:04 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• The bad thing about LDS is that you are told to blindly follow the prophet- they tell you to pray about it but when you have an answer different from the prophet they tell you to pray again. They try to conform what you believe into what they WANT you to believe and if you don't fit- they are no longer your friends. Trust me- I've been there.
    lovetoteachec

Answer by lovetoteachec at 3:33 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I understand, respect even, your refusal to totally bad-mouth their religion. I am looking for one that rejects the Trinity/Godhead (I have my reasons for doubting it, but awesome if you believe!) And am fine if they believe Jesus married, but having kids? Nah, I don't want one that believes that lol. I have Mormons in various branches of both DH & I families, but I'm afraid if I ask them, they'll tell me to come to Temple with them, and then coerce conversion on me lol. By the prophet do you mean John Smith? I don't know much about LDS, but I have been checking out that religioustolerance site :)
    Anonymous

• Joseph Smith. He was the man who restored the gospel of Jesus Christ to the earth according to mormon beliefs. There are prophets who came after his death and there is one today. His name is Thomas Monsen(Monson, forget how its spelled).

I was never taught Christ had children. Honestly, the marriage thing makes sense simply because he was raised at that time and part of being a good Hebrew would have been to marry. We are taught he did all that was expected of him via God the father as well as being a good Hebrew man who obeyed the laws,etc. So marriage makes sense. Children, well he was an awfully busy man if you believe all thats written of him LOL so who knows.

Cont'd....
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 5:32 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• As for Temple, thats only something you can enter if you are a member in good standing. They go to a church building to worship weekly. I believe the Jewish people refer to their building of worship as a Temple.

No one can make you convert, some may get pushy but its totally up to you in the end. Guilt only works if you let it LOL(something Im learning a lot about lately).

If you want both sides of the coin, read LDS.org and then read a site like josephlied.com that will give you both sides of the Mormon coin.

I personally, am not christian anymore so I dont believe in the Godhead/Trinity either LOL.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 5:35 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• lovetoteachec what she said is not true and she is not mormon. so i wouldn't take what she says as a real credit. as for BonesDragonDew i feel bad that she left the church. she sounds as though she has been fooled into believing what anti mormons have said or rather relies to much on the past of the church rather then what it has provided for her life and what it is and stands for today. she has already said so much that is true and therefore i don't have much to add accept that the best way to find out for yourself is just have the missionaries come by and answer all your questions straight up. on this site you will get nothing but conflicting answers. there is no real way to get the answers you seek then first hand and by your own heart know what is right or wrong. the lord would not steer you to something that is not right for you. if you trust in him then you can get nothing but the truth from him.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 10:46 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• i have had nothing but true blessings as a member of this church. let me tell you how it all happened. my father saw our neighbors going to church every sunday. he thought i want that for my family and so the next sunday he got his family together. not me or younger brother as we were not born yet. anyway they went to the closest church. stood there and no one talked to them. so they left upset. the next sunday was much the same. so once again they left. again the next sunday it was pouring so hard they couldn't get out of the car. so my father got down on his knees and prayed asking what church he should go to knowing that his family should go to church. guess who showed up the next day? the mormon missionaries and that is how we or my family has been members of this great and wonderful blessing.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 10:55 PM on Jan. 4, 2009