How do you get kids ages 7-10 to STOP LYING!

blowingsteam

Asked by blowingsteam at 12:26 AM on Jan. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• ugh, I've been having this same problem with my son (he's turning 7 in a few days) it is driving me nuts! I'm thinking it could either be a phase or they need a long talk about why they feel like they need to lie...like is my son afraid to get punished so he risks lying to get away with it? Does your kid(s) know that they would get into LESS trouble if they told the truth? I'm even thinking of doing an experiment and telling my son things and he gets excited about like say we're going out for pizza or lets go to the amusement park or whatever and when he expects it say oh I never said that...to prove a point about lying and the truth and how lies are very disapppointing...I haven't tried that yet though...GL to us right...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• If you find out, let me know. Mine just grew out of it, nothing I did ever worked. They just got to an age where they realized that I wasn't omnipotent and they could actually get over on me now and then--and it was on! They either got better at lying or quit doing it as much as they got older, I'll never know which. Good luck!!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 3:28 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I emphasized really young that lying would get you in far more trouble than most other things you could do. My children in that age range aren't liars. It's funny how one of them will find me to tell on herself and apologize. My 5 year old is still learning and is often in trouble for not telling the truth but he's getting it.

Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 10:07 AM on Jan. 4, 2009