GEORGIA Occupancy laws

Does anyone know occupancy laws in GA? My DH's ex live in a single wide trailer. 2 or 3 bedrooms, not sure. But if 3 they would have to be small. Anyways, it is his ex, her DH, my SD, SD's little brother, SD's little sister, ex's DH's mother, ex's DH's oldest son...and one kid on the way. So in Feb, there will be 8 people living there that we know of. And ex's DH has 2 more kids that visit. So when they do it is 9 people there until the baby comes then there will be 10. I don't see how that is adequate for that many people.....opinions? Facts?

*Should my DH call CPS. They are already watching them.

Amanda1390

Asked by Amanda1390 at 12:24 PM on Oct. 6, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Not sure about GA but in Tn its 2 people per room but that is for apartments. They sounds like way too many people.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 12:36 PM on Oct. 6, 2011

• I am in Georgia and my county has a 'single family home' ordinance. Meaning 2 people per bedroom. Bedroom is defined by a room w/ a closet.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:04 PM on Oct. 6, 2011

• If they already have a case with CPS then there is no reason to call but if it makes you guys feel better it won't hurt. Why doesn't your DH try adn get custody if he's that worried about his child's well-being?
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 1:24 PM on Oct. 6, 2011

• Gwinnett County- The Gwinnett County Property Maintenance Ordinance, effective January 1, 1999, established maximum occupancy limits on residential properties based upon the size and use of the structure. The ordinance was adopted to promote and protect the public health, safety, convenience, order and general welfare of the citizens of the county. The ordinance applies to all existing structures in the unincorporated areas of the county.

The ordinance established minimum room width and height requirements as well as minimum square footage requirements of dwelling units based on the number of occupants residing in the dwelling. Every bedroom occupied by one (1) occupant must contain at least 70 square feet and bedrooms occupied by more than one occupant must contain at least 50 square feet per person. Kitchens, bathrooms, living rooms, and non-habitable spaces cannot be used for sleeping purposes. This regulation does not ap
    Anonymous

• If we had the money for a lawyer, we would try. But obviously before there wasn't enough to take her via CPS so we probably wouldn't have enough to get custody.
    Amanda1390

Comment by Amanda1390 (original poster) at 8:20 PM on Oct. 6, 2011

• It sounds awful and a good reason to argue that the kids would be better off with you. But I don't think it should be illegal or cause CPS to remove the children from the home (without other cause). I think a situation needs to be seriously dangerous for a child to be better off in CPS care. In many countries this would be a standard living arrangement for poor families. Parents all over the world make sure their kids are safe, fed and educated in this these types of conditions. If the ex is able to do the same, I would hate to see the kids pulled into the "system."
    Dharrahy

Answer by Dharrahy at 9:23 AM on Oct. 7, 2011

• CPS is already involved because they were living in these unsafe efficiency lodges, with drugs and bugs. People starting fights all the time, drugs going in and out of it. And my SD had worn out clothes, didnt fit. Sometimes she would come over with her older step-sister's panties and little brothers socks on. She let her teeth rot for 8 months before she got them fixed. CPS went and made them move and told her that she needed to buy the kids new clothes that fit and wasnt worn out. We know this because CPS called my DH back and told him everything that happened.
    Amanda1390

Comment by Amanda1390 (original poster) at 9:42 AM on Oct. 7, 2011

• Here in FL there is no set limit (unless you live in an apartment or something and they set a limit on your lease) but you can't have children who are not siblings of the opposite sex share a room and everyone has to have a bed.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 2:36 PM on Oct. 7, 2011