My 6 week old is constipated...

She has only had 2 bowel movements in the past 3 days...and none today. I've given her Mylacon several times today, in hopes that it would help her...but it hasn't. What else is there to try? She seems to be in so much pain. She is typically a quiet baby, but lately she has been SO fussy. Please help!

wishwish

Asked by wishwish at 12:35 AM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If she has had 2 bowel movements in 3 days then I don't think that classifies as constipated. If she had not gone at all in 3 days then I may get concerned. If she is acting like she is in a lot of pain and the Mylicon is not helping then call the doctor. Are you breastfeeding? Maybe something you have eaten is upsetting her tummy?? You can also try a warm bath and rubbing her belly. I hope she feels better soon.
    AlliO2

Answer by AlliO2 at 12:38 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I've given mine white grape juice diluted with water. I would usually dilute it 50/50 but for such a young age I would probably dilute a 4 oz bottle about 60/40 (40% white grape juice). I would then call the doc on Monday ~ he/she may want to see her. Don't worry...this is normal. Best of luck : )
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 12:39 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• My baby girl now is ten months and healthy and happy. she gets constipated all the time. I give her apple juice diluted 50/50 with water. about 4 oz but no more that young. I have been giving my baby girl juice since she was about a month old. Good luck. white grape juice is ok too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• You could also try a glycerin suppository. I had to do that once when my little boy was a baby. There is no medicine in them at all and they make them for infants. You can get them at any drugstore.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• my doc said not to worry unless the baby is constipated for more than 4 days. then you should do something about it. I know my answer isnt all that helpful, but I tried lol.
    russian-mommy

Answer by russian-mommy at 1:00 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• karo syrup mixed with warm water. does the job every time, and it dosen't cramp their tummies. I used it with all 4 of my kids. Say you were going to use 2 oz. of water, then you would use 1 teaspoons of karo syrup, if it still dose nothing, then add a little more karo. im serious, this stuff works great.
    TammyG.

Answer by TammyG. at 1:09 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• so I have two kids they bolth see a gastrinologist or however you spell it for there sever constipation you can A.) call your doctor and ask how to make a milk and molasses enema...its been a while I forget but it works well you just mix the milk and molasses and put it in a enema bottle you get at like rite aid for babies or b.) put your daughter in the kitchen sink with lots of warm water when she looks like she is trying to go or c.) you could lay her down undo the diaper take some patrolium jelly put it on your pinkey with a laytex glove on of course and put it in her and pull it out wich is actually what they would do at the hospital if it where really bad so good luck with your daughter I hope she feels beter
    soldierswife11

Answer by soldierswife11 at 1:36 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• She is not constipated. She just doesn't need to poop. It is normal. Don't do anything.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 1:56 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• If she is truly constipated, then the poop that comes out will look more like rabbit pellets (hard, brown) than like regular poop. When babies are this little, they are still getting use to the feeling of their digestive system moving along. The feeling of gas, trying to learn how to relax their bottom and contract their abdomen to poop - those are all new and weird senstations for them, so it makes sense that she'd seem a little flustered.

But believe me, I remember how hard it was to watch my LO be in so much pain. Do try the warm bath, and you can bicycle her legs to help pass any gas she might be having.
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 4:59 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Also - there seems to be something that happens around 6 weeks where babies start waking up a lot more to what's going on around them, but they haven't quite developed the ability to "tune out" all the sensory input they're getting (sights/sounds/smells/etc). It can be a lot to handle!
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 5:00 AM on Jan. 4, 2009