baby food, then a bottle? bottle then baby food? or baby food inbetween bottles?

My daughter is 5 and half months and I just started her on cereal. I was just wondering when I start giving her baby food should I give her a full bottle with it? Before or after food feeding? Or partial bottles with feedings. In-between bottle feedings? Any suggestions? What works for your babies?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When my kids were younger. I would feed them a half a jar- a full jar of baby food and then half of a normal bottle. Like if they normally drink 6 ounces give them 3 ounces.
    Krisnkelsy

Answer by Krisnkelsy at 12:49 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I did cereal at breakfast and then let him have however much formula he wanted. Then another bottle midmorning and then babyfood for lunch and some formula and then another bottle in the afternoon. Babyfood for dinner and then some bottle and a bottle before bed. All babies are different though and will pretty much set their own routine and how much they eat/drink.
    AlliO2

Answer by AlliO2 at 12:52 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I just fed my baby cereal untill he was full. then for lunch i gave him a full bottle then cereal untill he was full. then for supper cereal untill full. make sure you use forumla with the cereal not just water.
    russian-mommy

Answer by russian-mommy at 12:59 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• The AAP recommends that babies under one year get the majority of their diet filled with either BM or formula. The best thing to do would be to give her the bottle first, and then let her try the foods. Their little tummies aren't really ready to digest solid foods until about 6-9 months (that's when all the digestive enzymes start forming for things other than milk), so it's best to take it slow until then.

MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 4:55 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I've always done breastmilk or formula first, then solids. Since breastmilk and/or formula should be the mains source of nutrition throughout the first year, I felt that it was more important for them to get their full "milk" feeding first. Then I would let them eat as much/little solids as they liked afterwards. Actually, I would give them their solids about 30mins. to an hour after a bottle/breastfeeding just to allow their tummy to settle a bit. Plus, it worked into a regular 'mealtime' routine w/ the family that way.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 10:53 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• With my three girls I did:
    half jar baby food mixed with rice cereal (with iron) for breakfast
    then bottles as often as they were hungry
    whole jar baby food at dinner mixed with rice cereal (with iron) for dinner
    then bottles.

The cereal is important if you are still giving breast milk because your breast milk will not have enough iron for baby at 6 mos of age. Mixing in a little rice cereal will keep those iron levels up. During the first year, milk or formula is a baby's largest source of nutrition - by feeding you are basically introducing the foods, concept and coordination.
    sweetpea_me1

Answer by sweetpea_me1 at 12:06 PM on Jan. 4, 2009