Could she die????

my 11 month old daughter has a very bad infection, its red and swollen and has some kind of lump under the skin, so we went to the E.R yesterday and they said that she could get better, but she could get worse, they gave me a prescription but it was 120 dollars, and i don't have any money, they said that they might have to cut it open and drain it, it looks like it is getting worse, should i just keep going back to get the antibiotic shot, and can this do any bad damage, my mother said that it can kill her, does anyone know anything about it or have had experience with it? can this kill her if i haven't caught it soon enough, i need help!

Trinity32188

Asked by Trinity32188 at 12:47 AM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Speaking an employee of a county hospital, please go back to the hospital and tell the caregivers about your situation. Do not allow this infection to go untreated. I doubt it will get better with antibiotics or they wouldn't have prescribed it.
    If possible go to Urgent Care not the Emergency Department. They will have more time for your child there. Ask to speak to social services, many hospitals have what are called Medical social workers, who can help you.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 2:33 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I don't know if it can kill her, but let's not think that way. Will your insurance just not cover the med? I would think it would be cheaper to get the med than run back and forth to the ER over and over??? I really hope that you can either find a way to get her the medicine or the doctor can fix her up.
    AlliO2

Answer by AlliO2 at 12:50 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• First of all forget about the money and borrow it from somebody. YES, if it gets bad enough it could travel through her whole system and kill her. If you give too many anitibiotic shots, what it does is it kills off the good bacteria and can make her very immune system very weak. By the time you keep taking her back for all of those shots, you couldve paid for the prescription. You need to take her to the county ER and they can't turn you away. I used to work for county hospital and we have to take care of everybody. Trust me they won't let your little girl suffer. Do the right thing and GET HER THE MEDICINE. MONEY IS NOT WORTH HER LIFE!!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:51 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• well i dont have insurance yet, its pending, so all the E.R bills will be payed when my insurance kicks in, it just wont pay for the meds :(
    Trinity32188

Answer by Trinity32188 at 12:52 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I agree, find a way to get her the medicine or either let them lance it at the hospital and admit her till she is better.
    AlliO2

Answer by AlliO2 at 12:53 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Who cares! Get the meds and worry abou tmoney later. Get a credit card. Do what you have to do.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:53 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• there is almoste always an off brand of an antibiotic. so you should go and ask your doctor if he/she can give you a script for it. if not, then try to gather up the money. and dont let your mom stress you out that bad. if it could kill her then they would have taken it out then and there. they wont let a baby go home with something that will kill her and then just give a script. that just dont make sence. so i honestly dont think you have anything to worry about mamma
    russian-mommy

Answer by russian-mommy at 12:54 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Get the medicine. Beg, borrow, steal.
    MommyJanelle

Answer by MommyJanelle at 12:55 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• As a nurse I can tell you that if you tell the ER physician that you cannot afford the antibiotics, they may be able to prescribe a different and cheaper antibiotic that will help her just the same.

I have also seen ER docs have the hospital eat the cost of the meds and fill them in the ER or even fill the meds in the ER and charge them to your insurance that way.

I would take her back to the ER and have her be seen again since you say that your insurance will cover it. Just tell the doctor what is going on. Don't feel bad, they are there to do what they can to help your little girl.

Good luck and I hope she gets better soon.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 12:56 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• In response to russian-mommy....YES she does have something to worry about. You don't let an infection fester in a weak little body. You get it taken care of.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:57 AM on Jan. 4, 2009