Early bedtime

Do you think it's an effective punishment in younger kids (toddlers or grade school aged) or do you feel your just punishing yourself in the long run because they get up earlier?

MamaStuart

Asked by MamaStuart at 7:06 PM on Oct. 6, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Making a kid sit down and be quiet is more of a punishment then going to bed early.

Answer by louise2 at 7:09 PM on Oct. 6, 2011

• The only thing we use that for is if they are making noise after lights out or making excuses to get out of bed after lights out. In those cases, it fits the crime.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 7:11 PM on Oct. 6, 2011

• Bedtime should NEVER be a punishment. When you tuck your child in for the night, it should be one of the most loving tender, intmiate parts of your and the child's day. Totally inappropriate.
    Judi287

Answer by Judi287 at 7:16 PM on Oct. 6, 2011

• Yes and no...I do it with my 6 year old but but only because we feel like we have tried everything else...I think she only benefits from the extra sleep since she looks super tired quite often. She doesn't get up before we have to wake her for school either.
    AudreyGlore

Answer by AudreyGlore at 7:16 PM on Oct. 6, 2011

• As long as it's not too early. I have one child that it was really effective for. The others don't mind so it's not really a punishment. It's more like a reward, for me! lol
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 7:26 PM on Oct. 6, 2011

• well if its an hr or so befor bedtime and he/she is not behaving yea send them to bed early but if its earlier then i would do something different maybe take away there favorite toy or watever they are into at the time!! good luck
    candicenicole91

Answer by candicenicole91 at 7:36 PM on Oct. 6, 2011

• i have never done that with my kids, the only time i send them to bed early is if they're tired. but then again, mine are probably too young for this kind of "punishment"
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:10 PM on Oct. 6, 2011

• If my kids are acting out because they are tired at night then they go to bed early. During the school year bedtime is 8pm for the older 3 (11, 10 and 9) and 7pm for the 5yo. The 1yo goes to bed whenever he falls asleep usually. He's starting to set a natural bedtime for himself around 8-9pm. The older 4 usually get up at 6am so by 7pm they are all getting cranky and start throwing fits and fighting. The natural consequence is having to go to bed earlier the next night since they were obviously tired and cranky with their regular bedtime.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:16 PM on Oct. 6, 2011

• if it works for you fine...my daughters bedtime during the school year is 8:00 so the earliest i send her to bed would be 7pm...taking away privilages works best for me..
    lanette1965

Answer by lanette1965 at 1:29 AM on Oct. 7, 2011

• Mine are a little older (9 and 11). I think an early bedtime is one of the most effective punishments for acting out. My kids have a lot going on which can cause them to get over-stimulated and over-tired. If they are losing it, they can usually benefit immensely from extra sleep (and it doesn't cause them to get up early, which is great). It is a case where the punishment is explainable (you wouldn't be acting this way if you weren't over-tired), addresses the root cause of the problem and is a win-win for child and Mom (I get a little extra time without a cranky kid). It is my go-to punishment when appropriate.
    Dharrahy

Answer by Dharrahy at 9:12 AM on Oct. 7, 2011