Hi when ever my sons wants my attention he makes a uhhh kinda of sound when ever he wants me to look at something, wants something, I usually ask him whats wrong or when he shows me something I tell him what it is , Now should I ignore the sounds when he wants something because I always say to him " say mommy look" I'm trying to make him talk because he only says like 3 words he's 16 months

FRANCINE818

Asked by FRANCINE818 at 1:20 AM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• the average for an 18 month old is to say two words other than mama and dada so he seems to be just fine. It is good to explain to him though and teach him how to ask
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 1:22 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• he might not be able to hear good because of fluid on her ears my daughter did that and i had to get tubes in her ears and she had to see speech therapists and still does shes 3
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 1:23 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I would just keep correcting him even if he doesn't say it because he will sooner or later
    soldierswife11

Answer by soldierswife11 at 1:24 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• You are on the right track by making him ask for it.At 18 months some words/sounds are too hard for them yet so at don't expect too much.But lets say he wants a cup, point and say "cup" and see if he will repeat it, or at least ask "do you want the cup?" and make him sy yes/no-because they can say those words.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:49 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• sorry I meant-16 months.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:50 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Don't IGNORE him but encourage him to say the actual words. If he's pointing at crackers and saying, "UH!" while pointing, get down at his level and say, "You want what?" "You want something to eat?" "You want crackers?" "Can you ask for crackers?" "Crackers, please?" "Crackers?"

You want it to be beneficial to him to learn to say the words rather than grunting, so if you're a "Slow Mommy" who "doesn't get it", he'll be more likely to say, "YES, woman! The damned crackers!" Okay, well not quite, but you get my point. :)
    If you're in tune with him enough that you always know what "UH!" means and you respond to it as if he'd spoken, he doesn't really have encouragement TO speak... so play dumb!
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 2:35 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Mikayla_lynn, the vocabulary for an 18 month old where they're not considered for speech therapy is 25 words.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 2:36 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• He's doing fine and so are you. There's nothing wrong with encouraging him to speak and it will make him talk a little faster. Good luck to you!!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 2:44 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• RanaAurora - I just looked up your claim about "25 words" and that is simply not true. The "norm" (which is of course relative) is 2 words other than Mama or Dada, maybe up to 6 words. Look it up.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 2:53 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• while you're able to understand him, still encourage him to "use your words". ask him to repeat the names of stuff you see and talk, talk, talk to him. sing and read books that have repeating words. that will help increase his vocabulary, too. good luck!
    vickiathome

Answer by vickiathome at 4:22 AM on Jan. 4, 2009