has anyone tried " Your Baby Can Read "

My husband was wanting to buy it for our 2 year old.
Has anyone tried this? If so, how did you like it?
Thanks!

ReadyToRage

Asked by ReadyToRage at 1:31 AM on Jan. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• i thought about getting that but it dont seem true
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 1:32 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• studies show that even if you teach your child to read/write/spell early all the other kids that learned in school instead of at home catch up to them in 2nd grade anyway so even if it does work there is no point....
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 1:35 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• well it says that 90% of a childs brain is developed with in the first 5 years
    ReadyToRage

Answer by ReadyToRage at 1:41 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• We want to get that really bad for our 4.5 mo old...but it's to expensive for us right now. There is a lady who started her son at 3 mos and by 3 he was at 1st grade level. For Christmas he got Hooked on phonics baby reading program but this isn't the same. This is just an introduction to reading and doesn't actually teach him any reading.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 3:33 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• If you have around $200 to spend on something that you can teach your kids to do on your own for free...go for it. However......

Keep in mind that the program teaches reading by rote memory, word recognition. It does not teach phonics (from what I have seen about it)

My 2 year old recognizes all of his letters and some of the sounds.

My 3 year old recognizes his letters, knows the order of letters and is sounding out words as well as writing several (about 7).

My 4 year old is doing some reading and ahead of his peers in this subject.

They learned all this through play....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:16 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• If you want your children to learn to read, read to them. Let their brain learn when they are supposed to WHEN they are supposed to - words, contexts, clues. Before purchasing any "reading tool", educate yourself about child brain development and pre-literacy skills. In a nutshell, don't waste your money - most you'll be able to do is brag for a few years (IF your baby even likes it) and then what, all the other kids will be able to read to, and maybe have better comprehension skills to boot.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 12:04 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I think it's a HUGE mistake and waste of money. What ever happened to letting a child develop normally? We can all read and it doesn't matter when we started. I think it's more so parents can brag about how smart their child is. Plus think of it this way...your child enters Kindergarten reading at a second or third grade level but is only emotionally at a Kindergarten level so is not able to skip a grade (which is a bad thing in and of itself) your child knows everything that is being taught to them already, here is the outcome #1- your child thinks he or she is better than everyone else or #2- your child acts up due to boredom . Your choice to do whatever you want this is just my humble oppinion. Let a child be a child. Help them develop their skills on your own. That's a parents job.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 12:39 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I have the Dvd's. They're okay, I think they're doing more harm then good because I think My son (13 mo) is just memorizing and he learns words better when I say them to him over and over and Pronounce each letter. And In the Dvd's They PIcked some of the ugliest animals like Gorillas and Rhinos and Hippos, They're just really some ugly animals, They could've chose Like A Zebra or A Cheetah, Something Colorful and Vibrant ... not a gorilla. And they the Words they have in there are really LONG like "HIPPOPOTAMUS " and " RHINOCEROS" those are pretty long words for litte toddlers. Anyway I think I might sell them on Ebay, Phonics are a lot better for leaerning to read, I wouldn't buy them again. THe ONly part of the Dvd he likes watching is the Sing a longs.
    prettymama0607

Answer by prettymama0607 at 7:08 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I just got the package yesterday and Ive started a blog about progress. DD turned 4 11/08. and DS turned 6 6/08. I would ONLY get this if I had the extra money. So far it seems like a set of super expensive flash cards.
    As far as that goes I use flash cards with my kids and also teach them phonics. DD can say and write almost all letters of the alphabet and knows the phonetic sound. This was from day care and "starfall.com" (I live by this site.) These cards and video will reinforce what Ive been teaching them and give them a fun way to practice their word wall words (to all the MC parents) and streghnten their vocabulary.

Oh the instructions say to use this stuff more than 2X a day so it would probably get more use for a homeschooled child. I'm using it for DD when DS is doing homework, on weekends, and over the summer.
    teotwawki99

Answer by teotwawki99 at 11:46 AM on Jan. 27, 2009