What do you do when yourchild is completely out of control and you have literally tried EVERYTHING?

When I mean that I've tried EVERYTHING I mean EVERYTHING!!!! From books , to movies, different punishments, have even gone as far to talk to child services about his behavior and all they were able to tell me is that it is normal for his age.... PLEASE ANYONE WITH ANSWERS, I'M IN NEED OF HELP AND ADVICE!!!!!

bobblehead1218

Asked by bobblehead1218 at 1:40 AM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Out of control HOW?

Have you consulted the pediatrician?

There are disorders that look like simple misbehavior. Things like ADD, ADHD and Asperger's Syndrome come to mind. My nine year old was only recently diagnosed as an Aspie. Looking back, I can now see that some of his behavior as a toddler and preschooler had nothing to do with him being bad or us failing to teach him...he actually is unable to make some emotional connections.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:44 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Leave your kid alone in their room! Let them cry it out, or throw a hissy fit alone.. when they realize no one is watching, they'll calm down!

As much as they might scream, and you'll want to let them out, DON'T.. it has to be consistent!!

You don't have to tell them anything as you're putting them into their room.. just put them there, shut the door, and walk away until you've heard that they have calmed down.. talk to them rationally when you go back in.. if they start back up again, leave.. and try again.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 2:31 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• How old is this child?

What are the behaviors in question?

What are your expectations?
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 6:43 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• CRY, lol!

I've been there with my 4 1/2 year old son....it's frustrating! I get so tired hearing people say you need to step it up and be a parent....seriously! Ya wanna come deal with my son!? I've got 2 other kids and I'm raising them all the same way and they are nothing like him.

Sounds like your child might be strong-willed. I think too many times doctors and parents label a strong-willed child as having ADHD. I bought a book called "Setting Limits with your Strong-Willed Child" by Robert Mackenzie, ED.D. This book has been GREAT!!!! I'm sur eyou can pick up a copy at your library for free or order one on amazon.com for cheap.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:48 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I have major issues with my three and a half year old daughter! Here things is she's just uncontrolably hyper. She is also very strong willed and sometimes impossible! For her I find counting to three, then time out or a swat seems to do the trick. I think its just a matter of tryin things until you find something that works!! Hope u find something that helps!!
    katmills0884

Answer by katmills0884 at 10:39 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Check out the group Creative Discipline. It's important for parents to educate themselves about child development and various ways of disciplining children that still respect the child. READ READ READ about your options - there's more to discipline than Time Out, Spank and Ignore. These tend to be the top 3 responses, but there are so many possibilities, each one dependent upon the child's behavior. Decide if you want to be Proactive about discipline or Reactive and punish....You need to find the parenting skills that fit you and your family - so ask questions, be specific, try everything and retain what is good. Remember to always be consistent and always remain calm.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 12:09 PM on Jan. 4, 2009