How did you handle labor pains if you had a natural birth?

I really want to have our son naturally, because the thought of having an epidural just doesn't fly right with me. But I am interested in how you handled your pain during labor.

its_mrs.valdez

Asked by its_mrs.valdez at 12:46 AM on Jul. 16, 2008 in Pregnancy

• bOTH OF MY BIRTHS WERE NATURAL [[NOT BY CHOICE!!]] BUT i JUST KEPT TELLING MYSELF IT'LL BE OVER SOON!! PLUS THE THOUGHT OF FINALLY MEETING MY BABY HELPED A LOT, NOT THAT U CAN DO A LOT OF THINK EITHER LOL
    iLuvMyBaby1016

Answer by iLuvMyBaby1016 at 12:56 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• All 3 of mine were natural 2 @ home, 1 in hospital all with midwives.
    Breathing helps, treating the contractions as waves that have to come in and roll out, moving, walking, listening to music you like, birthing ball, going on all fours, sitting in a water bath, massage, praying!
    These all helped me except for the water bath, never done that one but heard it helps a lot, if I can, I will try it with this pregnancy.
    AutiMama

Answer by AutiMama at 1:25 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• i zoned out, but i've been told i said things to my husband that would make satan blush and i screamed a lot. he came so fast once he came that there was no time for anything and i was planning to epidural so i didn't do all that new agey stuff.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 1:44 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I just used breathing, massage, pressure on my lower back, bath, and walking. I also just kept the original motivation in mind, that I want to be clear headed and wanted my daughter to be clear headed the first time we saw each other. And I didn't want the chance of any complications arising from getting an epidural. One of the most important things was to remove the option from my mind, I just wouldn't even allow myself to think about it. I had it in my birth plan that no one could ask me about my pain or if I needed anything for it. It was the best decision I made about the birth. I don't regret it one bit. It did hurt and it was hard, but it wasn't so hard that I was going to give up. But you absolutely have to make up your mind before you go in there, because if it is left as an option then the chance of you taking it is pretty big.
    flora52

Answer by flora52 at 2:32 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• my hubby held my hand through it all... plus having my mom, dh, and mil there to talk to help.... once things got more intense ij ust kept reminding myself how close i was.... my mil massaged my back and my mom and dh each took a hand... i had to tell myself going in no epi, and at one point i even asked my hubby for it (maybe 7 or 8 cm) and just asking for it made me realize that i didn't want it and helped me get through....
    dance_chica

Answer by dance_chica at 4:38 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Breathing and focusing on a particular object really helps. I can't tell you how many contractions I breathed right through staring at the clock on the wall and counting the seconds.
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 7:56 AM on Jul. 16, 2008