How do you moms get over missing your child?

Missie1999

Asked by Missie1999 at 1:54 AM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• I don't think it happens ever. I had a shared custody arangement with my son and when he was with his father, I wanted to do the helicopter thing and hover but I forced myself not to. It was pretty traumatic to me to let him go. I put on a good face for him and did what I had to do. He was fine. I was the wreck!! Now I have 2 grown kids and they're on their own. One is in town and one is out of state and I miss them alot too. I call and send pics of their little brother and sisters and they send pics of themselves. Seasons of change. How much we wish they'd stay our babies and they don't. They shouldn't and they won't. Good luck to you Mom!!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 2:22 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• You don't get over it, you just learn to deal with it some way or the other. You keep yourself busy as you can. Write letters often,but, dont go into a lot of detail about how you miss them, just tell them you miss them.As time goes on, you still miss them, but,the hurt eases somewhat. If you find yourself missing him, get up and do something, even if you just did it, do it again.time is on your side. I know exactly what you are going thru.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 6:08 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• My 18 ds only moved about 5 blocks away and I was devastated, it has been almost 4 months, and I am starting to adjust... but in a depression that is for sure.
    Anonymous

• My daughter left to back to college today (from Christmas break) she is a sophmore and has lived away for 18 months. I talk to her almost everyday and she comes home often for the weekends (except during football season) (she is a gator!). I still MISS her EVERYDAY and my house (and heart) still has an empty spot. However, she is happy and working to meet her goals. That's all I can ask for and I am thankful for the opportunity she has. I PRAY over her EVERYDAY! God has perpared me since the day I gave birth to her. Your child may leave your house, but they never leave your heart; their home will always be where you are.
    2girlsmama0306

Answer by 2girlsmama0306 at 9:38 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I set some goals for myself and slowly moved on. I felt I owed it to my children to be a happy and well adjusted mom of grown children. They worked are working hard to get into college. I too work hard at becoming the mom they need now.

hugs

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:05 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• I was incredibly depressed as each of my three have left for college. But, they are very happy and that is exactly what we have raised them to do. I have been amazed at how much they have matured and how much they appreciate and miss us. I try to be very supportive, call and vist often. I have finally discovered that I can have a full life here without being a full time mom. I now have a neighborhood supper club with friends that are also empty nesters or soon to be. My children are very proud that we have found ways to stay busy and have fun. It's time to pursue hobbies and develop new friendships. You and the kids will be better for it.
    Lisahi

Answer by Lisahi at 10:12 AM on Jan. 6, 2009

• When my oldest went in the Army it was hard..but I had other kids to attend to so I wasn't all consumed by him moving out. My youngest...way different story. I bawled all the way home after leaving him at campus. I walked in his room everyday for months. He left a Richard Petty MAtchbox car on top of his dresser. This is demented I know, but I used top push that stupid car around his dresser and just cry and ache. It didn't help that he began college at 17. It gets better. You have to get focused on you and other things. Hub and I got real focused on one another again. We went where we wanted, didn't have to check game schedules, or work schedules..It was wonderful.......right up until 9 months later when we got the call to come p/u the grandkids. Here we go again...
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:35 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• You never really stop missing them and your youth along with it. You get used to it and then life hopefully continues to evolve and you discover other purposes in life besides being a full time Mother. It is dad,but true that if you have done a half way decent job your children do become ndependedt, but fortuantely they do return for visits and still need your love, care etc
    momjack53

Answer by momjack53 at 9:17 AM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I AGREE. U NEVER STOP MISSING THEM. I GOT A WONDERFUL SURPRISE THE OTHER DAY. MY GROWN SON WHO MISSED COMING HOME FOR CHRISTMAS CALLED AND ASKED FOR SOME OF MY RECIPES. I GAVE THEM TO HIM ALONG WITH ALL THE EXTRA HINTS TO MAKE SURE THINGS TURNED OUT AS GREAT AS POSSIBLE. AFTER HIS DINNER PARTY I DIDNT HEAR FROM HIM. I WAS DISAPPOINTED. THEN THE DOORBELL RANG AND IT WAS THE FLORIST WITH THE MOST BEAUTIFUL BOUQUET OF MY FAVORITE FLOWERS. THANKS FOR HELPING ME OUT WHEN I REALLY NEEDED IT MOMMY IS WHAT HE SAID. WHAT A NICE SURPRISE. THEY REALLY DO APPRECIATE YOU AND AS PP SAID IF YOU HAVE DONE A GOOD JOB, THEY DO GO ON AND MAKE LIVES OF THEIR OWN. NOW I CANT WAIT FOR HIS NEXT TIME TO ENTERTAIN THE BOSS ET AL AT HIS HOME!
    emily1234

Answer by emily1234 at 3:36 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• I must just be cold hearted but I never missed them once they left. I sometimes missed hearing from them but I put in 18 yrs of the best I could give. I taught them all I know. They spread their wings and sought their fate in life. I was very proud that they could be strong, independent ppl. I took great pride that I gave them a foundation of strength and allowed them to make decisions on their own when younger so that when they were adults they could make good choices. I had that wonderful time with them when they were younger. Now it's my time for me. We all win.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:16 PM on Jan. 7, 2009