Opinions on superheroes. . .

My husband LOVES superhero shows, and insisted on instilling the same in his boys. . . my question is, I personally think the Superhero cartoons (Jusitice league, batman, etc) are very violent, and I don't really approve of them, should I put my foot down about it? Do you think it's too violent, or am I just being paranoid?

Panditacjp

Asked by Panditacjp at 2:02 AM on Jan. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• IDK They are violent sometimes, but they do have good qualities too! My little boy loves all of that stuff too so I let him watch it. My boy is 7 years old and he gets rewards from school every month for being a "good kid" and all of my friends comment on his good manners and positive attitude so it hasn't rubbed off on him.
    If you banned him from it I do think he would feel left out in school and with his friends-but its your decision, he's your child so you know what is best for him. These are just my opinions:)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:10 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I think if in limited amounts AND if you talk to the kids about why the characters behave the way the do. Don't just leave the shows on and walk away - children will be enthralled by the action, but may not understand the morals or stories. Parents need to discuss these with the kids in order for them to understand that hitting or punching or kicking is NOT how to solve problems. I have a 3 1/2 year old who loves SpiderMan but has never seen the cartoons or the movies. But I talk to him about why SpiderMan is who he is. Actually, SpiderMan is one of my favorites because he asks himself those hard questions of who he is, why he does what he does. He's got a lot of character and not just "I'm stronger than you are" attitude.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 2:24 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Being a Batman fan from age six, I have to side with your hubby on this one. Try watching some of the shows. Especially the new Justice League and Justice League Unlimited, if you can...the storytelling really is excellent. And kids who are exposed to good stories early on learn to appreciate them more as they get older.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:01 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I think it depends on how old your children are and if they are watching the cartoons themselves. I know that in my house we usually try to watch things together so we can discuss them. I also think that as long as kids understand that it is pretend then things should be okay.

I know that my children and husband have watch superhero shows and cartoons for a long time and it has not made my children violent. As with anything that you child does I think the key is to stay involved and to communicate with your child.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 4:41 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• i think its also how its explained to you kido's. if your hubby is watching with your son, he there to help him understand why we have super heros. how that can be transformed into our lives by doing what right. my boys watched super heros. My oldest loved the Hulk & He Man, the transformers! Now he has a degree in automotive design, go figure! My yooungest son loves spiderman! he started drawing spidy at age 5, now he wants to draw for marvel comics....take a negative, turn it into a positive, my dear old moma would say! Think about it....hmmm. Its really about how "YOU" approach it, not the cartoons.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:27 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• My kids watch them...and love them! They know the Superheroes are out to get the bad guys, and can identify when one of the characters is doing "a bad thing." The boys also know what is pretend and what is real though...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:11 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Yeah, I do see your points. . . my kids (ages 2,3 5, & 6) all watch and love them. I've limited them to the weekends only, and only a few shows at most. . . I will have spoken to them about the violence, but maybe I should have daddy talk to them as especially for the boys, "I'm a girl, so I don/t understand," The issue is partly my husband doesn't watch it with them, he simply puts on a marathon (bought the whole set of all the shows he could find from the 70's on up), and leaves them to veg, until mommy says' it's enough.. . not good I know. I will talk to daddy and try to work that angle.
    Panditacjp

Answer by Panditacjp at 9:36 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• We are huge superhero fans in my house. They mainly love Batman and the Incredible Hulk, but also love Spidey, Ironman, and TMNT.

Shows that aren't allowed are Power Rangers and anything else similar. Those are nothing BUT fighting.

My boys are 4 and 5 and they aren't violent kids. They act out some of the scenes with each other, but for play...not to beat the crap out of eachother.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:40 AM on Jan. 4, 2009