Family man decides to join military. Should he?

A man decides that after a ten year relationship and two school age children, that due to lack of skills and money that the best choice for the family and himself is to leave and join one of the military branches.What do you think?What would you do?

MamaSunshyne

Asked by MamaSunshyne at 1:09 AM on Jul. 16, 2008 in Relationships

• I agree with this. I believe it is the right choice.
    I3earHugzz

Answer by I3earHugzz at 1:19 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I would say support his decision. He may want to look into the Air Force, they are much more family oriented, in my opinion at least. You don't want to tell him no because then he may resent you for not supporting him. Despite the difficulty, it may prove to be a great move for him.
    mamamorgan

Answer by mamamorgan at 1:21 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I say I agree with him. My husband was in the Air Force for 13 years. Once he would get a little higher in rank the husband would make pretty decent money, the family could live on base and the whole family will have healthcare. My husband got out and was able to get an excellent job with a major corporation. It was because of his military training and the management experience he had from being in the military that he was able to go on to having such a great career in the civilian world.
    AKEllen

Answer by AKEllen at 1:56 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• My husband actually tried to join for the same reasons, but got denied for his felony.
    steph0617

Answer by steph0617 at 6:52 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• absolutely. if he feels that this is the best way to support his family, then by all means. the military is an awesome place, we miss it a lot. we made a ton more money than he is making now as a civilian. besides, where else are you going to find that kind of job stability in such a crappy economy? sure deployments suck but it just becomes a way of life.
    3lilgems

Answer by 3lilgems at 9:19 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I would cry. I wouldnt want him to go away.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 9:50 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I agree that the air force seems to be the most family friendly. I would really try hard to get a civilian job before joining the military. My hubby is in the Navy and it's hard, especially with kids. He's deployed and you're home worrying about him, or he's on detachment someplace cool like Key West and you're stuck home with the kids hoping he's not having too much fun... It has it's benefits, of course- great healthcare, decent pay for a person with dependents, steady job. It's definately worth considering, but I'd never just flat out tell someone to do it. It's a big decision and could very well mean a HUGE lifestyle change for everyone.
    winkie_pinkie

Answer by winkie_pinkie at 1:07 AM on Jul. 30, 2008

• my dh is in the navy and overall it was the best decision ever made for our family. Yes he's gone a lot but we're in a much better position than we would be without the navy. I'm thinking about joining myself.
    Keyonsmom

Answer by Keyonsmom at 4:18 PM on Mar. 25, 2009