day/night confusion

my 4 week old son sleeps most of the day, and will wake up around 1 am and stay awake usually until between 3 and 6 am, fighting his sleep the entire time. we are exhausted. any advice on helping him switch his routine? please help!!

miss_carolina

Asked by miss_carolina at 3:03 AM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This is normal for this point of his development, and only time will cure it. Co-sleep if you can. Certainly sleep when he does sleep.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:05 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• just wait. 4 weeks is a short time for a baby to adjust to these totally new surroundings. my daughter was the same way for a while. i didn't do much about it. newborns come with sleep deprivation. just put a little effort here & there to make days active & nights calm. he'll eventually catch on.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 3:05 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I agree with PP. Try to keep the days active and the nights calm. Dont tiptoe during the day when your son is sleeping and at night try to keep the lights and tv off. He will eventually catch on. But sleep when you can!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:15 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Ditto to the PPs - it is a phase that will pass. :)
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 4:56 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• First of all congrats on the new baby! At 4 weeks old they don't have any concept of time and can sleep anywhere from 18-22 hours a day. Tricks that worked for me was to keep it very calm and quiet at night. I would only nurse my children and put them back to sleep (changing their diapers only if needed). Keeping the lights off or dimmed. In the day time make typical noise, don't tip toe while he naps. Most important take a nap with him.
    JenA83

Answer by JenA83 at 8:50 AM on Jan. 4, 2009