Almost 5 month old spitting up constantly

I watch my almost 5 month old newphew for my sil while she works. I've watched him every day since he was a little over 3 months, and here and there before that. He spits up a lot, some times it looks like the entire bottle comes up at once, and others it's just a little it every few minutes or so. He does have reflux but adding the rice to his bottles only made him constipated and very restless. He is 16.5 lbs at 4 months 2.5 weeks old, and he was only 7.3 when he was born. He's a chunker so being tiny isn't an issue. But the constant spitting up can not be good for his poor tummy. I have tried telling her this but she thinks the spitting up has to do with teething ( which he isn't any more) there are times where he hasn't eaten in 2 hrs and he will spit up everywhere. I am getting sick of changing my clothes 2-3 times a day because he is always spitting up, plus I am concerned for my nephew... What should i do? We have tried talking to his parents and they blow it off. This can't be normal.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:12 PM on Oct. 7, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• K. Babies throw up. Sometimes a lot. They don't have the strength to keep something like liquid down.

Other reasons for spitting up could be if he is stressed, over stimulated, over tired, uncomfortable, excited, if you are bouncing him tilting him or if he is just moving a lot.

If it isn't projectile vomiting it's ok. If he isn't uncomfortable afterward it's ok.

As for your clothes- I'm sorry, but it's just something you're going to have to get used to. My son is a spitter too.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 12:36 PM on Oct. 7, 2011

• Both of my kids did the same thing, definitely sounds like reflux! I would try to feed less amounts at a time so he doesn't get overly full. I also would try to get good burps out of him! I really had to work at those burps! Last, where ever you lay him down to nap, prop the end where his upper body lays at like a 45 degree angle so that the milk has a better chance at staying down. I

My kids did it so bad I was afraid they'd choke while laying down for naps and these are the suggestions our doctor had...good luck

anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 12:52 PM on Oct. 7, 2011

• I have 2 kids of my own 3.5 years and 2 I know babies spit up. I'm not a moron I dont bounce him I don't even put him on his tummy for at least an hr after eating. I keep him upright for 20 mins after eating per his doctors orders. And yes He does act uncomfortable. He cries and cries until he spits up. Yes I burp him after every 2 oz, and he is a great burper. He rarely spits up after burping, it's after the formla has been sitting in his tummy 20-30 mins. Sometimes it is projectile, and it's even been tinged green. This is NOT normal. He goes through 2-3 thick burp rags, 2-3 outlets of his and most of the time ends up wearing nothing but a bib for the last few hrs I have him bc he runs out of clean clothes. I'm not the only one who sees this as abnormal his grandparents, my sister who is over here quiet frequently who had a reflux baby, and my dh all think it's too much.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:53 PM on Oct. 7, 2011

• Ok, well you didn't mention any of that. So I went on the basics. So shoot me. I work in tech support and as a support person you go for the dumbest fixes first.

Formula would have been another good indicator. It might be the type of formula he is getting. I had a friend with a son that couldn't take any kind of standard, soy, gentle, light or special blend of formula and had to give him goats milk!
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 1:17 PM on Oct. 7, 2011

• Burp him more often during his feedings. Gas is making his formula regurgitate. He may be a fast drinker & swallows too much air. Change his bottles to Dr. Browns to prevent him from swallowing air.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:17 PM on Oct. 7, 2011

• I have an almost 5 month old spitter as well. My pediatrician told me he most likely has acid reflux but it's not severe. My son will only take 3-4 oz. bottles at a time. If he took any more than that at one feeding, he'd spit up the whole bottle. I feed him a lot of times in a day by breaking it up but it keeps him from spitting it all back up.
    fricky29

Answer by fricky29 at 6:23 PM on Oct. 7, 2011

• Now reminded he is my nephew. I really can't change much. My question is more how do I approach his mom. What do I do with the fact that his parents don't see a problem.... It'd be completely different if this weren't my nephew...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:33 AM on Oct. 8, 2011

• Tell his mother to bring him to the drs. and they can put him on something like Zantac. She needs to get her head out of her ass.
    shanapiv

Answer by shanapiv at 12:51 AM on Oct. 9, 2011

• He is probably overeating. I'm thinking that because of spitting up and how much he weighs. What Dr. Sears recommends is feeding small amounts frequently. You might try feeding 4 ounces or less and feeding him more often. It is better to do laundry for the spit up than to drug babies that aren't really sick. Spitting up doesn't hurt his tummy, if his tummy is too full or the muscles or flap at the top of the stomach don't hold the milk in, up comes the milk. This is common (does that make it normal?) in formula fed babies. It is less common in breastfed babies. Breastmilk doesn't smell as bad and doesn't stain. Goat's milk isn't recommended.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:57 AM on Oct. 9, 2011

• I am a first time mom of an almost 5 month old and my lil girl has been spitting up a lot since birth. She is an awesome baby, rarely cries and doesn't have reflux or colic and she spits up all the time, no matter how soon or long after she eats. She is formula fed and now eats about 7-8 oz four times a day. I would say it is definitely annoying when she spits up however I would not try feeding her less more times a day because that's like reverting to newborn again -- she's on a good schedule and if the spitting up isn't bothersome to her, just keep the couches covered and keep the burb cloths handy everywhere!! No worries :)
    coolwifemom

Answer by coolwifemom at 10:19 PM on Mar. 20, 2013