What about those Baby Reborns?

If someone already asked, then please direct me to that question:) Also, I'm not quite sure which category to put this question in.
I know the topic of "extreme" nursing was brought up in general parenting because of Friday's 20/20, but what about those "mothers" that treat their dolls (Baby Reborns) like actual human babies....
Doesn't that just seem sad and creepy?
I cannot understand how it is emotionally or mentally healthy to treat a piece of plastic as if it were your flesh and blood child.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:19 AM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Gee, then what does that say about my relationship between me and my vibrator? : ) j/k
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 3:32 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Oh, I found the one from earlier.
    Hey, and it was in this category, too! Nice to see I was thinking along the same lines as someone else.
    So, unless you really want to put your $0.02 in go ahead and ignore this question:)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:32 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Puzzled by anons reply, is it directed towards me or OP?
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 3:46 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Oops, I am the OP (anon) I usually add that in but I forgot....it is too late. I'm going to bed :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:55 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Lemme say that first of all I can understand the mothers to a point, no one (who hasn't suffered infertility) knows the pain of not being able to have a child. I could see how some would be driven to desperate measures.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:16 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I do found it creepy! Even if you cant have a child... adopt a real one. Dont walk around with a doll because you will just end up in a mad house.

To GIgi1969 - that was a good one! too funny!
    Paty_hotmommy

Answer by Paty_hotmommy at 6:23 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• a girl i worked with at the daycare who was 27 and did not have children she had 2 reborns those things cost like 150 a piece or more and she treated them like real babies... not nursing em or anything but she called them "her babies" i too thought it was really strange but let me put it in her words " some people cant or are not ready for the responsibility of a real child the reborn dolls make you feel like a parent wihtout all the reponsibilty they look and fell like a real baby you dont really have tht love for them like a real child but it is cool to feel like a mom sometimes even if it is to a doll" and even though i dont still dont see spedning that much on a doll she put it into perspective for me... if a person has the money and they want too why not? there a lot worse things to spend money on.. and imo some people would be better off with dolls.. like casey anothony for exapmle
    JrsMommy07

Answer by JrsMommy07 at 7:57 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• i saw that 20/20 and it was very interestinng. i thought that one lady was a lil creepy but least u know shes good with babys. not sure if i would have her babysit mine. there would be alot to think about. but sometimes to adopt its alot of money, so i understand. but why not get a dog or cat. that would seem less wacky. and that other lady who spent like 1500 on a doll wow she had like 15 of them my dh would kill me if i spent so much money on something like that. i will say some of the babys looked cute and real but i just dont know. i feel for them but at the same time im not sure..
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 9:47 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• They were made for people who have lost they're child or someone who is lonely. I think they are brilliant and a good idea.
    Mummytomore

Answer by Mummytomore at 10:47 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Isn't that what lap dogs are for? I can see why someone does this, but that doesn't make it healthy. I can see why people are addicted to crack....still not healthy.
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 4:41 PM on Jan. 4, 2009