Substitute for tomato paste

grrrr! i want to make sloppy joes tonight, i have a seasoning packet and all that im missing is tomato paste which i neglected to realize when i was making my shopping list the other day. i have regular pasta sauce and ketchup, will either of those suffice? i think the purpose of the paste is just to give it that thick, tomato-ey taste. any other ideas?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 3:04 PM on Oct. 7, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I'd go with the ketchup. I'd actually do equal part of ketchup and grape jelly. Sounds gross but makes good sloppy joes!
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:07 PM on Oct. 7, 2011

• I just made some really yummy sloppy jacks the other night. ( my eldest is named Jack so we renamed them for him)

I used ketchup, stone ground mustard, sweet chili sauce, and Worcestershire sauce. And of course, salt, pepper, garlic, onion, fresh red pepper and celery.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:18 PM on Oct. 7, 2011

• Sorry... I didn't answer your question. I would use ketchup and a bit of mustard.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:21 PM on Oct. 7, 2011

• just cook the sloppy joes down a bit and that will make it thicker
    oredeb

Answer by oredeb at 6:45 PM on Oct. 7, 2011

• I can't stand the sugar taste in ketchup, so I'd opt for the pasta sauce.

OR I'd just add water then let it simmer off until the texture is what you want, as oredeb suggested above (like when you make taco meat).
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 7:37 PM on Oct. 7, 2011