Disciplining a 3 year old.

Ok my son is 3 years old and it seems like he skipped terrible twos because he was really good when he was 2 but now that he's 3 it's a WHOLE different world. He doesn't respond to no, time-out does no good regardless of how long he sits there. I don't want to resort to spanking because I never was spanked as a child but my husband like if he's being bad in a restaurant such as screaming really loudly for no reason or trying to get up and run around will pinch him (not hard but lightyly) and I just hate that and it only seems to make him mader and act up more. I really need some suggestions ladies cause I'm running out of options and I feel like anyone who is around and sees my child ask like this is like geez she needs to do something about that.. I just don't know what to do :( Please Help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:28 AM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Watch Nanny 911, lol, seriously. I noticed alot of people i know use a flick on the hand, you would think virtually ineffective,but it really does hurt and if you get down to his level and explain what he did wrong. Or Whts his FAVORITE thing ever? take it away when he's acting crazy let him know he won't get it back until he's being a good boy. umm, really tahts all i got, but really watch nanny 911, they seem to have pretty good tactics.
    smnice

Answer by smnice at 6:33 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Hmm.....wish I could help. Our DS turned three in Sept and it's been smooth sailing. Yup. Life's a dream....

laughing

No really - I think the "terrible twos" are a myth that parents tell each other in their aged years....threes are hard, hard, hard!

Aren't you sweet taking him to restaurants? Always, ALWAYS make sure you have an exit strategy. Give him a warning and then BOOM - out the door. You can always go back in once he's calmed down - otherwise send your hubby a text to get you a take-out box.

(cont)

Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 6:41 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• In your kid's defense - he was "good" when he was two probably because he was doing what you wanted him to do. Now he is becoming his own little self and it's not an easy road. Just stay calm, don't take it personally and don't back down. You are raising a civilized person! Keep your eye on the end goal!

As for time-outs - make sure he knows WHY he is in there and make sure he knows WHAT TO DO to get out (give hugs, say sorry).....and commit. If it takes 10 minutes of sobbing, it takes 10. If it takes 20 - get a magazine and settle in. Show him that you are consistent and he will make the connection.

Wimsey

• so far, standing in the corner has worked for me. It also worked for my 7yr old when she was 3. In a resturant I have been known to pull her into the bathroom if she acted up and stand her in the corner there. you see, there's a corner no matter where you are....lol. she learned early on that it wasn' t worth it. good luck mom, it's only the begining, wait till school starts....lol. what ever you choose, be consistant.
    robinski41671

Answer by robinski41671 at 7:39 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I always found it helped when I talked to my girls before we went into a restaurant or store. Before we went in I explained what my expectations for behavior were and told them that I knew they could do it. I also watched them and made sure they had something to occupy them while we waited for food and made sure that I praised them often when they were doing how I had told them. If they were misbehaving, I would take them to the car for a time out. If your son sees that he is making dad upset, that may be making him act up more just to get dad's attention.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 8:42 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• my room mates son seems to act the way your son is acting. she seems to do nothing about it. she tried the whole spanking thing, doesn't work with him, he starts laughing at her and thinks its a joke and for her to do it again. One day she told me to handle it and i just said in a firm voice for him to stop, he listens to me and my counting. thats how i parent my daughter. who is actually a good kid. weird. be firm don't back down
    navymama101705

Answer by navymama101705 at 10:52 AM on Jan. 5, 2009