Question for my fellow stay at home moms

What are your responsibilities? Hubby and I often bump heads on this one and I was just curious to see what the average day in the life of another stay at home mom is like? Lots of details....don't leave anything left out. :)

HomeBoundMama

Asked by HomeBoundMama at 1:24 AM on Jul. 16, 2008 in Relationships

• My husband works a crappy shift he leaves at 3 in the afternoon and gets home at 2:15 am so dinner and laundry amongst household chores are mine not mention childcare (all of it) my husband likes to sleep until about 1pm which is when he will get up spend time with his son change diaper whatever needs to be done and I will fix him something to take to work to eat that night. I feel like I do quite a bit but I don't mind knowing full well he doesnt have regular 8 hours and I much rather do it than argue with him over it.
    JustinScottsMom

Answer by JustinScottsMom at 1:33 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• My husband only expects me to watch after the kids. I complain all the time about my own lack of energy and how I never get any housework done and he tells me not to worry about and that he doesn't care. He doesn't even care when he works a 12 hour day and comes home to find out all I did all day was dishes because I was so freaking exhausted from just keeping the kids occupied. So, my personal responsibilities (that I give myself) are take care of the kids (change diapers, feed them, although the older ones usually get their own breakfast and lunch, take them to school), dishes, laundry, tidy up. That's about all I expect from myself. My husband expects nothing from me, not even a hot meal every day. Half the time he just wants a sandwich that he can make himself. I guess I'm lucky. I put way too much pressure on myself about the house and kids and he just doesn't care about that stuff. He just wants me to be happy.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:33 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• everything. he pays the bills, so i do everything else. and i do mean everything. he always has a warm meal either prepared or nearly prepared when he walks through the door. he puts his lunch box (which i packed that am for him) down and i fix his drink while he does that. i do all the housework, laundry, errand running...everything. he does work, the math part of the check book and the yard work. i do the kids alone. i discipline them alone...damn, i do everything but work.
    until next year. then when my son goes to school and i go to work this arrangement will change.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 1:40 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I get up in the am and sit and spend about an hour with Katie doing whatever she wants to do. I make all the meals, take care of the animals (we have 3 dogs) clean the kitchen and living room area every day (which needs to be done several times a day cause Katie spreads toys from one end to the other). Laundry, vaccuming, dusting...pretty much everything in the house. I make hubby's lunch the night before and set the coffee pot for him too. I also do the bills and checkbook. Also, run all the errands (ALL).
    HomeBoundMama

Answer by HomeBoundMama at 1:51 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I've been a SAH mom now for 5 months and it was hard for me to get use to, since Ive been working the last 6 years!
    I cried when my hubby suggested it the first time!
    I loved working for the simple fact that it was the ONLY time I was with 'grown ups' and making money. This past month I have finally felt good about not going to a "punch-in" job and working at home. I realize how fast they grow up, even tho its stressful being w/ Celine, making dinner, keeping a clean house, etc.! its going to go by fast and Im blessed I get to raise my daughter and not a sitter! :)
    davesgirl86

Answer by davesgirl86 at 1:56 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Details.. I give my 18mnth old kisses every morning. We turn on music and eat breakfast.. she usually heads right for the fridge and picks out the fruit lol After breakfast we usually watch Bunnytown or MM Clubhouse (lots of dancing) We'll get dressed (she usually goes thru her drawer and throws everything out) I chase her around the house to fix her hair :) pack a snack & diapers, go out to the park, mall, church, etc. I bring the camera everywhere now! Come back for dinner, bubble bath to get spaghetti or whatever food is in her hair out, read the same book, 2,3 times lol or go for a walk and then off to bed. I love it! but will also love when its time for preschool! LOL
    davesgirl86

• My husband works a normal monday through friday 9 hour(give or take a couple) job. He pays the bills, loads the dishwasher, and does the heavy yard work, which isn't much. I take care of our daughter, every bit, discipline, everything. Empty the dishwasher, sometimes load it, clean the house and maintain everything. Make dinner every night, aside from a few occasions where either he will make dinner for everyone or just himself, usually just himself, so I still have to at least make dinner for myself. I do all of the laundry, wash, fold, put away, iron. I do all of the shopping. Occasionally he will occupy our daughter so I can get a little peace, but usually just for about 20 minutes and only when I am about to lose it and beg him to. In a lot of ways I do have it pretty good, but he really doesn't understand how much work it takes from me, he thinks that his desk job is so much more work than my mothering job.
    flora52

Answer by flora52 at 2:10 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Oh, and I take care of our cat, litter box and all. Even though it is his cat too!
    flora52

• I take care of laundry, indoor cooking (hubby grills a lot though), taking care of the animals, schoolwork, and the bathrooms. Other than that, we split everything 50/50. Just because his job pays doesn't mean he gets a free ride at home.
    kellietinsley

Answer by kellietinsley at 2:42 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• My fiance does all the working and money making he has 2 business's so is rarely here..I do everything his chores are garbage to ally..and fixing stuff..I do not expect him to help as when he is not working..he is sleeping for only about 4 hrs a night He gives us everything we ask for and we take trips atlest 2 times a month..he is quick to hand money over.for what I want..So I figure thats his job and this is mine!! He does help with children whenever home or awake! Oh and sometimes he makes dinner about 2 times per month LOL we have been together 4 yrs and he only did the dishes once!!
    BUSYMAMA5

Answer by BUSYMAMA5 at 2:55 AM on Jul. 16, 2008