What could cause a child to have a big belly??

Are there illnesses or conditions that could cause this?? My BFF's daughter has this, she's a little chubby but no more than normal for a 5 year old. She is active, happy, healthy and smart. She's never sick. My friend talks about this sometimes when the kids aren't around and I was just hoping to get some advice? Please be kind in your responses, I have other questions that have gotten mean replies~

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:38 PM on Oct. 7, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• There are diseases. Malnourishment. Genetic build. Overeating. Gas.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:40 PM on Oct. 7, 2011

• It could be a liver disease, or it could just be genetics. She might just be prone to a big belly. Lots of people carry weight differently. If the child eats a diet high in carbs, she might just be gaining it in her belly.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:41 PM on Oct. 7, 2011

• hmm, not sure. my 2 and a half year old has always had a big belly, but it's hard like a rock. she's got a "beer gut" type of belly, it's round and out like a baby bump-LOL. i expect it is leftover baby fat maybe? and will evenly distribute to the rest of her body as she gets older. btw if she's really full it expands even more, and if she's sick all day vomiting or with diarrhea all day, it's hardly even noticeable. strange!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:53 PM on Oct. 7, 2011

• Constipation, malnourished, growing sprut, if it is very protruded,, I think she probably needs to see a doctor.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:57 PM on Oct. 7, 2011

• Genetics. Being chubby can cause a stomach to be larger then normal on its own. My dh had a large stomach and even though he has lost much weight it is still there in part. Take her to the doctor and make sure it is not her body type or something else.

Answer by gemgem at 10:01 PM on Oct. 7, 2011

• Could be lots of things. My middle daughter had an umbilical hernia as a baby which meant her abdominal muscles didn't connect in the center (allowing the hernia to poke through her belly button). It repaired itself around the time she turned 2 but it was a LONG time before the muscles knitted together and strengthened enough to hold her stomach flat. My 5yo's stomach still is poochy and she never had any issues. It's pretty normal. The one that had the hernia finally started getting control around 6 or 7. She's almost 9 now and has a super flat stomach.
    We used to joke she looked pregnant because of how far her stomach stuck out.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:53 AM on Oct. 8, 2011

• If there are any animals in the home there could be the possibility of worms :(
    mrsziemann

Answer by mrsziemann at 2:10 AM on Oct. 8, 2011

• Pinworms (whether there are pets or not)
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 8:02 AM on Oct. 8, 2011

• Eating too much and not getting proper exercise is the biggest reason. If she isn't eating too much and is getting a good amount of exercise her parents need to get her to a doctor to see what is going on.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Oct. 9, 2011

• I think she probably needs to see a docto
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 6:25 PM on Oct. 9, 2011