Moms with a history of young baby who suffer

with pervasive horrible ear infections/ At 3 months she started with the chronic ear infections? what did you do? how they affected the Balance and speech. My poor baby girl is 2o months she now taking steps on her own / she stood at one and started cruising but her speech delay and walking delay have been extensive. After a second pair of ear tubes she not progressed and gets ears infections . They drain now outside the ear. the other day i was cleaning pus out , more antibiotic , and gets tested again Tuesday, i have gone through the gamut . She not walking alone yet and her speech which was normal has not progressed. I'm thinking she can't hear it because she lost words, she say Abeu for peekaboo,and up up but forgot mama and other important words Can you please tell me what U have gone through with ear infections of this caliber. i need to hear stories that were hard to resolve I'm desperate

youmakemydreams

Asked by youmakemydreams at 7:23 AM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My son had chronic ear infections and it did affect his speech and his ability to walk. Let me just say that it scared the hell out of me. So to some degree I can relate. But not with the multiple tubes being put in. Although I was warned that it could happen, it did not. Thank God. But my heart goes out to you. I remember how scared I was every single second that my baby could really have some lasting health issues. First, I would go get another opinion from a ENT that comes highly recommended. If you have a teaching hospital near you: call them. Such as Duke or Emory or some other teaching university with a hospital. Second, I would contact an audiologist and a speech therapist. Get a team together of specialists ASAP. Third, get another pediatrician to give you another opinion and to offer more options as far as where to look next.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:03 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I am very sorry to hear about this. I have not gone through this personall, but wanted to add that I have heard that sometimes food allergies or other things are sometimes the cause of chronic ear issues. Maybe try googling and do your own research on what the latest new is on causes of ear infections. Believe me I have children with health issues and doing your own reading is key. Doctors sometimes miss things.

Also one other thought check out www.signingtime.com It is a great site that has videos that teach baby sign language. They are pricey, but you can get away with just the first DVD. Sign language would be awesome for her while doing speech and getting her ears cleared. It will keep the "language channel" open. They are showing now that sign is great for any child, especially children with special needs or speech delay. It will be fun too.

I hope that helps, sorry I can't help more.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 9:43 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• cont... See about early intervention services in your area. Every state, every area has early intervention services for children exactly like your child. Contact them and have them be apart of your team. Don't stop until you get the answers you need. If more hearing loss can be prevented you want to do that as soon as you can, you want to prevent pain, and you want to start getting services for whatever she needs to catch up to her peers.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:05 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Hey. My dd wasn't quite that bad. However, after each infection she would lose quite a bit of speech. A few weeks later it would start to come back. Luckily, no tubes were needed and she's doing pretty good now (she actually has both ear infected but is talking fine this time!) Have you guys looked into allergies? Guy at work ended up cutting out milk and his dd has not had any ear infections since. Some times allergies can clog the tubs/sinus and make them more suseptible to ear infections.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• ALso, have they tried allergy medicines? My dd is on zyrtec to keep the fuild off the ears.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• My middle step son has dealt with this his whole life. He's 11, and just had his second tympanoplasty in September after having had a failed tympanoplasty the year previous. He's had multiple myringotomies (tube placements), and has just had chronic ear infections. His speech has suffered. He has to see a speech therapist. He has extreme difficulty pronouncing his r's and l's. The Zyrtec or the medicines ending in "DM" are good for keeping fluid off of the ear, but check with your doctor before starting this regimen.
    My step son is a lot better now. He has gotten cleared to go swimming, too. He hasn't had an infection since his last surgery. It took the perspective of a new ENT to make it happen (apparently the one in our area was incompetent).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:17 AM on Jan. 6, 2009