• In the Spotlight:

getting a 2 year old to eat

How on earth do you get a child to eat. My 2 1/2 year old is the hardest to get to eat anything and she will NOT eat meat. She has kind of been this way since birth as when she was a baby she would only feed off of one side(breastfed) for about 5 minutes and that was it, when I talked to the doctor that would tell me it ok. And when I was trying to feed her baby food sometimes she would take a few bites and then other time she refused to eat at all. She is now 2 and still does not eat. I have tried every food I could think of. I already had the doctors tell me she is under weight and to make sure she eats but I can not force her to eat. I have gotten to where I leave snacks out for during the day and sometime she will eat some of them. The only thing lately she will eat is grapes and plums. Does anyone have any food ideas for a very pickey eater.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:19 AM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My DD is the same way. Her foods are pretty much bagels, eggos, mac n cheese, chicken nuggets and cold cereal. She finally started eating bananas and canned fruit about 2 months ago. it was such a break through for our family. She drinks plenty of milk and juice along with a daily vitamin. I know Quaker makes a choc chip breakfast cookie that is loaded with vitamins and fiber. I would say try giving her plain-simple things. For my daughter, what she ate was the only thing she could control and boy did she control it! I used to lose my mind with her. Finally I realized to just let her eat and let that be that. Now she is trying tons of new stuff! Try not to get frustrated when feeding her, I know it's hard b/c you know what they need even if they dont. Let her make a mess and explore her food. Hope this helps.
    nvedwards

Answer by nvedwards at 10:54 AM on Jan. 4, 2009