when is it time to interfere?

My friend's son turned two last month and still only says momma. Nothing else, not even dadda. He seems to understand us very well and plays well with my 2 year old son. She is very laid back and has not spoken or taken him to her doctor. I have not said anything to her about it because I thought it was not my place but I worry about developmental delays she could be overlooking. Should I let her do what is best for her or should I try to talk to her about it?

missv66

Asked by missv66 at 8:42 AM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would just mention it as casually as possible. Just be like "is momma the only thing he says?", tell her that you read somewhere that the average child at 2 years old should be able to say at least _____words or something. Maybe she is just in denial about it and needs someone else to say something so she realizes that it really isnt normal.
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 8:46 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Both of my children are Autistic, and were officially diagnosed at 2 1/2, at the suggestion of our Early Intervention speech therapist. Naturally I didn't see the Autism diagnosis coming in my older son--just thought it was a speech delay.

When you're not sure how your good intentions will be received, I've found that making generic comments like "a friend of my husband's co-worker, has a child who wasn't speaking much by age 2 1/2, and she had him evaluated and it turned out to be nothing serious, had some speech therapy and he's talking great now!"

Kind of "plant the seed" suggesting that it could be nothing, but at least rule it out. If she goes, then the doctor will tell her the truth. See the following link on signs of Autism

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:14 AM on Jan. 4, 2009