Going to cousin's this morning & she's coloring my hair... do I tip & if so how much?

MamaLisa1976

Asked by MamaLisa1976 at 9:41 AM on Oct. 8, 2011 in Money & Work

• If she is your cousin, ask her outright how much does she want. If she gives you an amount, pay that and you don't tip. She is doing this privately, I'm assuming.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 9:44 AM on Oct. 8, 2011

• if she's charging you, i'd tip 20%. if she's not charging you, i'd add $20 to the 20% tip (of what it'd cost if she was charging).
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:45 AM on Oct. 8, 2011

• It depends on how much she is charging, or how much you like the end product. I always tip at least a 15% of what is charged.

Answer by older at 9:45 AM on Oct. 8, 2011

• Will your own family member expect a tip? I'd assume she'll be happy with the agreed upon rate.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Oct. 8, 2011

• Buy her lunch instead.
    Annasofia

Answer by Annasofia at 10:19 AM on Oct. 8, 2011

• If I didn't charge family I'd be broke. I would never expect my construction worker cousin to come fix my house for free or for peanuts.I give them 10% off. They usually tip between $10 and $15. The fact that she's related to you should not matter. Work is work.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:12 AM on Oct. 8, 2011

• It costs money for color and everything, and it would be very nice for you to tip her,, Is she charging you? Is it just color or highlights as well? Whatever you have agreed on the price to be I would say 20% above that, if she says she isn't charging you, at least $50 for her time and product.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:14 AM on Oct. 8, 2011

• If I didn't charge family I'd be broke. --

that's why i didn't/don't do family!! LOL! some/most of them expected it for free or heavily discounted. time is money!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:53 AM on Oct. 8, 2011

• Yes, treat her home just like a shop. Pay her and tip her. I'm sure their are many others who don't. She will appreciate not having to ask you.
    lillie70

Answer by lillie70 at 2:57 PM on Oct. 8, 2011

• I couldn't imagine not paying someone for a service, regardless if they are family or not. I do have an aunt that does my hair whenever I ask and I always take money with me just in case she gives me a figure. Although she never expects payment from me, I want to give her something. So I usually just slip some money in her cookie jar when I leave. lol

So take money a little extra money with you just in case. I say if they don't charge you, then think about tipping them anyways! =)
    mommy_bink

Answer by mommy_bink at 10:49 AM on Oct. 9, 2011