GOING BACK TO WORK

i have a breastfeed baby that has never been away from me,i will work days hubby doesnt 8hour days..when i feed her from a bottle she only drinks 3 onces at a time no more..she wont starve? my question is even if i pump every 2 hours my milk wont dry up or decreas still will it?im nervouse about leaving her with hubby but excited about going back to work

angelairelan

Asked by angelairelan at 8:58 AM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• when i went to work the pump actually made me dry up..but my sister was able to keep it, it really depends but my daughter does fine with the formula, if you have a private place at work where you can pump it would be a good idea because your supposed to pump as often as ur baby eats..and as for her starving..a baby only eats as much as they need but she wont starve.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Don't be discouraged. If you're going to be pumping a lot, I'd invest in a good double pump, like Medela. Your baby will get used to taking a bottle and she will start eating more. Lots of people go back to work and are able to pump. If you have problems, see a lactation consultant, most hospitals have them as a free service. Don't give up!
    MommyJanelle

Answer by MommyJanelle at 10:35 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Your baby will be just fine. When you breast feed you can't measure how much milk they are consuming. She may need to adjust to the bottle (nipples are different and the flow is different). Baby's need to learn the bottle, their little tongues need to move the opposite way to express milk from a bottle than the direction they are used to with the breast, and the milk comes out much quicker from the bottle.

Keep pumping as often as you feel necessary. Your milk supple will not dry up or go lower in production. Just set yourself a schedule and stick to it - their may be an adjustment period, but your body will keep it up just fine.
    sweetpea_me1

Answer by sweetpea_me1 at 11:51 AM on Jan. 4, 2009