HELP ME!!!

is there anything i can do about the terrible heartburn i have been having. it seems to be getting worse with each passing night. i will wake up and stay awake for maybe an hour with it.. its sou uncomfortable.

help.

emily..ann

Asked by emily..ann at 9:17 AM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• good luck. i put up with it my whole pregnancy and NOTHING helped. the only thing that would kinda help is if i didn't eat for a few hours before bed.
    SummersMamma

Answer by SummersMamma at 9:21 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Tums and lots of water. Try using lots of pillows so you're more upright at night if it's worse while you're sleeping.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 9:26 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I must have downed so many Tums during each of my pregnancies that I could have bought stock in the company...LOL.
    Be sure to eat 3-4 hours prior to going to bed and nothing spicy for the last meal of the day.
    Elevate your head and chest when you sleep. It is uncomfortable at first, but keeps the acid and heartburn down and you will get used to it.
    Keep a chart of when a heartburn episode strikes, what you take to alleviate it, how long it lasts, and then speak to your OB at your next appointment. Perhaps there is another safe medication alternative that can help prevent heartburn before it happens.
    An old wives tale is that frequent heartburn is a sign that the baby will be born with a lot of hair - all of mine did! Best wishes to you.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:26 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• ask your OB/GYN about a prescription antacid. I took one and it helped when nothing else did.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 9:34 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• You might could try milk. I have heard that it helps when you have the onset of heartburn. I wish you the best.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 9:58 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• i had it with my son and before. but it gotten worse when i was pregnant. the ob/gyn told me to take previcid the purple box. it worked wonders. but i would first talk to you doctor.
    Levink_08

Answer by Levink_08 at 10:32 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I feel your pain. Mine was so bad I was taking probably 8 zantac a day! I know that some dr's will tell you not to take it, but I didn't care! My daughter came out happy and healthy. I've also heard that bad heartburn during your pregnancy means your baby will have lots of hair. I could tuck my daughter's hair behind her ears when she was born!
    nvedwards

Answer by nvedwards at 10:41 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I use to drink a glass of milk. it was cold and refreshing and good for the baby. it helped with mine.
    ladyoverride

Answer by ladyoverride at 10:48 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Milk helped me too
    lisacieslak

Answer by lisacieslak at 11:47 AM on Jan. 4, 2009