How do you do your grocery shopping?

What store? Or do you go to multiple stores? Plan your meals? Watch the circulars? Shop the sales? Go with a list? How often? That sort of thing.

I go to Meijer mostly, usually twice a week...I get the circular delivered and I will go through that and stock up on their sale items that I use regularly. I plan most of my meals, and I usually have a full cupboard (from stocking up on things when they're on sale) so I just go through and make a list of the little ingredients I need to pick up that week for my meals. I spend about $50/week for a family of 3. Perishables (dairy, bread, produce...etc) and those ingredients I mentioned make up probably $30 of my budget and then the other $20 I use to stock up.

Just interested to see what everyone else does.

kabbot01

Asked by kabbot01 at 9:28 AM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I shop once a month. I sometimes make a list but I dont usually stick to it. We start at the front wal-mart and go down each aisle and the side until we get everything we need. I think we spend about $150 or so on groceries(that is all month including milk and dr pepper that has to be bought like once a week). There are 3 of us.
    Aidansmom2728

Answer by Aidansmom2728 at 9:32 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I usually use Winn Dixie. Their circular comes and look through to see the sales and if there are any Buy 1 Get 1 Free items. I also go to Dollar General. I am definitely a thrifty shopper - I clip coupons, compare prices, compare size to price, etc. I make a list all through the week of things that we need/run out of. I then check my coupon "purse" for coupons for those things. I am usually prepared when I go to the store. I go once a week.
    SuperBamaMom

Answer by SuperBamaMom at 9:33 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Wow! You shop very well! I spend a hundred a week on just the two of us, and I thought I was doing well. Of course that includes soaps and paper goods, but even so! I shop once a week at whatever store is most convenient. I have off work on Tuesdays and have found that if I shop then I'm not as likely to buy sweets and junk since I'm not so tired and hungry. I used to clip coupons and watch for sales but haven't for a while- the being tired from work thing again. I usually make a written list since I'll forget what I need otherwise. When I get to the store I'll do a quick check of what they have on sale and may adjust my meal plans to take advantage of the sales. We don't eat expensive meals by any means. I cook very simply and we eat as healthily as we (and my cooking) can.

Answer by Bmat at 9:35 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• How do you spend 150 a month on groceries including milk??? I shop VERY cheap and stick to the basics, but once you throw in diapers, tp, and everything else its between 3-450 a month. I can drop 100 dollars on just the basics. Unless your walmart is just cheaper than here. Lucky.

Tp=8.00 12 pk
    Diapers 22.50
    Wipes 8.00
    Laundry det-12.00
    Milk-3.49 a gallon-sometimes on sale for 2.50 and we go through a gallon about every 3 days
    Bread 1.79 a loaf
    Not to mention meat is so expensive-a pk of hamburger can cost 9.00

That right there is about 65 dollars. And that is nothing. I don't think that it would be possible to do shopping for 150 a month.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 9:51 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I try to do once a month, but that doesn't always work out. I will shop at Wal-Mart for all of my personal care items, soaps, cleaning supplies and some dry goods. Then I go to Kroger to do the rest of my shopping. I do not usually stock up, I have some "regular" meals that I make and I get the ingredients to make each meal... sometimes using a list, sometimes not, LOL! I spend about $200 to $300 a month on a family of 4.
    cldetary

Answer by cldetary at 9:52 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Wow...I spend way less on those things! I buy the 6 pack of crappy toilet paper for $1.35, the diapers I buy are $6 for 40 diapers, the detergent and softener I buy are $3 each, milk and bread is about the same, but my wipes are $1.50 for an 80 count refill. I also buy a 3lbs roll of hamburger for $5 and just divide it up. $9 is a ridiculous amount to pay!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:05 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I'd like to be one of those savy shoppers that clips coupons, watches the sales and figures out how to get the coupons doubled but i don't have the patience or the time to want to do that. I just go to Walmart and start in the back and work my way to the front. If i have time i make a list of meals that i can make but i don't usually. I just make a list of things we are out of like milk or eggs, ext. I always keep things like diced tomatoes and soups stocked up. I make sure my freezer always has all types of meat also. There are 3 of us and we spend about $300-$400 a month. Thats just food. I go every week.
    kinzleysmommy

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 10:16 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• once a month i go and stock up on meats. then every sunday i check to see what is needed to make meals out of the meat. This week all i have to buy is fresh fruits and veggies, milk, eggs, bottled water, lunchmeat and bread. our cupboards are normally stocked pretty well after the summer when our hyvee has a lot of items 10 for $10.
    katelynsmom22

Answer by katelynsmom22 at 10:20 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• We try to go twice a month, but who knows what our schedule will be with the baby here. We go to Wal-Mart and Aldi, we buy everything we need at Aldi, and whatever Aldi doesn't have, we get at Wal-Mart.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:27 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I go about 3-4 times a month and I try to limit it to $150 a trip. We're a family of 7. I use the gricery game when I can and that saves me %50 or more each time. If I do good with that I can make my bill much less. I shop at a fewl stores, Aldis for the bare basics because I only trust certain things from them, then jewel and lastly Trader Joes. We cloth diaper so I don't spend anything on diapers and wipes. Our milk is more expensive in general because we don't use cow milk.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 10:28 AM on Jan. 4, 2009