How many days does a 15/16 lbs turkey need to thaw in the fridge?

JoyXtwo

Asked by JoyXtwo at 3:00 PM on Oct. 8, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I would think at least two days, but I never thaw mine that way. I thaw mine in cold water in the kitchen sink because I can't usually spare that much space in the fridge for that long.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:14 PM on Oct. 8, 2011

• Refrigerator Thawing

When thawing a turkey in the refrigerator, there are several variables to take into account:

Plan ahead: allow approximately 24 hours for every 5 pounds in a refrigerator set at 40 °F.
    Refrigerator Thawing Times

(Whole turkey)

8 to 12 pounds..........1 to 2 days
    12 to 16 pounds..........2 to 3 days
    16 to 20 pounds..........3 to 4 days
    20 to 24 pounds..........4 to 5 days
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 5:14 PM on Oct. 8, 2011

• I put mine in the sink in cold water the night before, and it's usually thawed enough to get the giblets out by morning (even larger turkeys), especially if you run water directly into the cavity. I put mine in the oven even when partially frozen and have never had a problem ~ I just start them at a lower temp and keep them covered for the first two hours. I don't baste them or slather in butter or anything else, and I never have anything less than a tender, juicy finished bird. Lol, makes my dil nuts!
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 5:16 PM on Oct. 8, 2011