How can i get their cough to go away?

My children have a horrible cough, its from the weather changing so much, how can i get this to clear up i have tried tylenol cold and cough but doesnt seem to be helping

candcmommy08

Asked by candcmommy08 at 10:03 AM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you taken them to the doctor to make sure its not bronchitis or something? There is a virus going around that my husband and I both had. My cough took almost 2 months to go away. My husband is going on 6 weeks with his cough. My hasnt gotten this yet thank goodness. Make sure your house is not dry. Keep a pan of water going on the stove if you dont have a humidifer. Keep the cough loose by keeping the kids hydrated. I would only give them cough meds at night if the cough is keeping them awake.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 10:17 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• yes doctor says its just from the weather changing and to do the humidifier....
    candcmommy08

Answer by candcmommy08 at 10:37 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• You might want to give Delsym? a try. It works for me and my kids.
    nvedwards

Answer by nvedwards at 10:45 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• You can't "make" the cough go away. Cough and cold medicines are to relieve symptoms, not cure.

If it's from weather changes, it's just going to have to work it's way out. My 2 year old has asthma and I know it's been pretty tough on him...but it's being controlled with his pulmacort.

If the cough is keeping them awake, give them something to relieve the cough. We've also had good luck with Delsym. But it's not going to make it go away. Oh...do NOT give Delsym if there is a chance they have croup!!!! We ended up in the ER....we didn't know he had croup, gave him some Delsym for the cough and within an hour he was barking and had MAJOR stridor!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:22 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• thanks i will try the delsym...i think i have seen that in the store but never tried it, it doesnt sound like croup my daughter has had that b4
    candcmommy08

Answer by candcmommy08 at 11:30 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Delsym works wonders. Keep an eye on them though. Both my boys have asthma, so when they'd get even the smallest cold it would flare up. You're kids must be young, so maybe talking with your pediatrician about all the symtptoms might help. It can turn into something bad if not closely watched. Not being able to breath stinks and coughing on top of that is worse. Good Luck.
    Anonymous

• Thanks ladies i got some Delsym tonight and am going to try it tomorrow and see how it works
    candcmommy08

Answer by candcmommy08 at 9:32 PM on Jan. 4, 2009