I'm going to school online, any ideas on cheap textbooks?

I'm taking classes online and since family is helping me with school aside from financial aid, I have to buy the books. I don't know what I'm going to do. We have enough for what we need but not extras. We have a seven month old to buy for, groceries, and I have like NO clothes what so ever since I've had my son. Its ridiculous. My SO's hours have been cut off due to weather and my job, lets not even go there. I'm lucky if I get scheduled. What should I do?

LaurenKaye29

Asked by LaurenKaye29 at 10:36 AM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Money & Work

• I buy mine online too. Just get the ISBN number and google it. There are a ton of used textbooks sites and there are even some search engines that will browse all of them and give you the best price on that particular book. half.com is one, abebooks.com is one of my favorites, ebay, phatcampus.com, valorebooks.com, amazon.com The best part is you can sell your books back afterward. I use amazon to sell because they don't charge you to list them, the listings dont expire...they just sit online waiting for someone to buy them. Never buy them from the school because they are ridiculously overpriced for what you can find used.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 1:23 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• cheapbooks.com Good luck...I am going to school and raising a baby too. It is difficult but it will soooo be worth it in the end! Just keep thinking about how you will be able to provide your little boy with a great life later on!
    GraciesMomLJP

Answer by GraciesMomLJP at 10:40 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• try local libraries or ask the professor if there is any sites to read the book online... lots of prof's will help, you just have to ask.

cldetary

Answer by cldetary at 10:44 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• We bought hubbies off of amazon and half.com. We would keep checking back to see if cheaper copies was listed. I just heard on the radio a add to rent college books online and save money that way.
    LadyKiki

Answer by LadyKiki at 10:51 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I go to school online & books are usually provided for you with the cost of tuition. They dont provide regular books but they do provide electronic books and you can print them out or read them online. If you still cannot afford them then try an additional Stafford Loan or Pell grant. Thats how I pay. If you can kids you get a pell grant and its up to 4700 a yr and you dont repay it.

Answer by gemgem at 11:18 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• www.half.com
    I just got my $200 Anatomy book for $27
    Anonymous

• Hubby and I always got our books at www.half.com.
    Anonymous

• i buy all my textbooks off of amazon.com It takes a bill for books that should be around 1000 to about 120...Good luck with your studies
    ReneeLRS

Answer by ReneeLRS at 3:08 PM on Jan. 4, 2009