Tippy-toe walking

So my 17 month old has been walking since he was 12 months (almost to the day) and always has and still does walk completely normal. 2 days ago after dinner, we were playing basketball and he started walking around his hoop on his toes. At first I thought "aw cute" he's trying to reach the top. And then he started walking around the house like that. I immediately thought uh oh...I've heard this could be a sign of autism. Then he stopped. Then last night he did it a bit after dinner while waiting for me to to make dessert. Then he stopped. He hasn't done it today at all. Is this normal? A little phase? Or just something he finds fun to do? He has no other "symptoms." For example he knows/attempts alot of words, points at everything, makes eye contact etc and smiles alot etc.

Sarahbeth7

Asked by Sarahbeth7 at 9:10 PM on Oct. 8, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• nah i wouldnt worry about this. im sure its just a phase. my 18 month old does this sometimes too, and he is completely healthly.
    ky_mommy2010

Answer by ky_mommy2010 at 9:12 PM on Oct. 8, 2011

• It's fairly common for kids to go through a phase where they walk on tiptoes. My oldest has autism and never walked on his tiptoes. Unless it becomes all the time for a long time, don't worry about it.

Answer by missanc at 9:13 PM on Oct. 8, 2011

• Normal. My dd did this a lot. Its so cute when they do! She doesnt any more though. Shes 2.
    teenmommy31

Answer by teenmommy31 at 9:13 PM on Oct. 8, 2011

• Ok thanks so much :) The doctor has never expressed ANY concerns but the thought popped in my head...and ya'll know as mama's we freak out over nothing 99% of the time. :) haha!
    Sarahbeth7

Comment by Sarahbeth7 (original poster) at 9:14 PM on Oct. 8, 2011

• You're correct toe-walking can be a sign of autism, but it also is common thing to do for a child UNDER the age of 2. It's when it become ALL the time or the "norm" that is something you have to worry about. This is coming from someone whose son had to have surgery at the age of 8 because of his toe walking. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it unless it become the norm or continues after the age of 24 months......
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 9:17 PM on Oct. 8, 2011

• all 3 of my daughters can run, jump, walk (correctly), etc.

having said that, they all walk on their tippy toes sometimes. my oldest is almost 5 is still does it, infact, i catch her doing it more than my 2 and 1 year old. last year my 2 year old would actually curl her toes inward and walk on the tops of her curled toes! THAT was weird to watch. she doesn't do that anymore.

i think as long as everything else is going okay developmentally it's fine.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:25 PM on Oct. 8, 2011

• My eldest has autism and has toe walked since he could walk. So when my now 4 year old started toe walking around 18 months I was concerned. My ped said that it's normal for him to experiment with it, and it did make me feel better. He is typical! There are a lot of signs, if this is the only thing that seems abnormal, I wouldn't be concerned. If anything else comes up that concerns you, go immediately to your ped!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 10:00 PM on Oct. 8, 2011