should i worry?

my dd just turned 5 months and isn't pushing up with her legs yet. yes, i do the excercises with her, i push her legs back and forth, i make a game out of it. but when i go to stand her up (holding her of course), she has no intention of even trying to push herself up. when i lay her down she has no problem kicking and moving them around, though. should i be worried and have the doc check her out? my ds was pushing himself up at 4 months, so i'm not really sure if this is "normal" or not.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Each child goes at their own pace. If you are concerned, you can certainly ask your pediatrician. My 1st DD developed every skill very early - walking at 9 mos. My 2nd DD didn't even crawl until she was 12 mos. and didn't walk until 16 months. My 3rd DD is already trying to stand on her own and can scale from object to object (sofa to table) at 8 mos. Don't worry, she will figure it out in her own time.
    sweetpea_me1

Answer by sweetpea_me1 at 11:46 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Keep working with her, and she'll do it when she decides she's ready! More than likely, she CAN do it now, but is just too lazy to! My son was the same way-- a perfectly capable little boy, but he's got to do things at his OWN pace. Mention it to her pediatrician at her next checkup, but it sounds perfectly normal to me!
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 12:40 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• My daughter didnt start doing that til she was 11m old she is now a yr old and still is just pulling up she isnt walking yet. Give her time. I did all those things they say will help but they ddnt. She isnt even start crawling til she was 10m old. Give give time.
    Anonymous

• At my son's 6 month check-up, his doctor noticed that he was not supporting himself too much when she stood him up. She got Early Intervention to come out and evaluate him. He is fine and did not require therapy, but they recommended that I get an Exersaucer or Jumperoo so thart he could play in it and get practice and it really seemed to help him. A walker would do the same thing, but the Early Intervention people really were against walkers for a couple of reasons. If you are really worried about it then get her in to be checked, but I am sure her doctor would pick up on it at her 6 month well baby check.
    AlliO2

Answer by AlliO2 at 2:22 PM on Jan. 4, 2009