My 8 month old daughter, shakes her head back and forth and smacks herself in the head, I'm worried there might be something wrong with her. Does anyone have any advice for me?

Could it be a mental problem, earache...?? I don't know and I am really worried about it. The head shaking kind of looks like a twitch or something.

AmazingLife

Asked by AmazingLife at 11:38 AM on Jan. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you are concerned, see your doctor.

Kids do quirky things to test out their environment.
    My daughter (8 mos) will bonk her head against the wall or window repeatedly. She will also quickly turn her head from left to right and back again over and over again.

How is she developmentally otherwise??? If she is doing everything else she should be doing you could bring it up at her next appointment, or if you feel more comfy just call the doctor and ask.
    sweetpea_me1

Answer by sweetpea_me1 at 11:56 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• My 11 month old shakes his head & hits himself with toys, his hand, etc. It's probably totally normal, but ask your pediatrician at her next checkup. Like the previous responder said, if she's developmentally fine otherwise, I'm sure it's just one of those crazy baby quirks!
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 12:37 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• well ....im sure its nothing but get her checked out to be safe,
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 1:52 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Both of my children were head-knockers, as I call them now. It used to worry me a lot, but they mostly did it when they were tired, or did not want to hear the word "NO" in conjunction with their behavior. They were both developmentally fine, and grew out of it. My pediatrician said to just try to "Ignore the behavior" and not make a big deal out of it, and it went away.
    Good luck, but if you are concerned, call your DR, he'she may be able to better help you.
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 2:15 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Its normal. Theyre learning how to move more quickly but still not a pro at hand and eye coordination. Its like shaking a rattle which is all part of their ddvelopmental skills.
    MissMamaAshley

Answer by MissMamaAshley at 4:59 PM on Jan. 4, 2009