Is it time to put my dog to sleep?

First off the idea is killing me. I love her so much. She is 11, almost 12, and she has had so many good years. She is and alwats has been a cranky little bitch but I love her for that. Here lately though she has lost vision in one eye, hearing, she is now senile as well. I found her in the fireplace trying to use the bathroom because she thought that was the door to go outside. She is growling, fussing, and tried to bite more than one person and I guess because she is just old, and like I said has always been bitchy. She only has a few teeth left, gum disease. She wont go outside anymore, I have to carry her because she cant make it down the 3 steps off the porch.

I rescued her when she was around 6 yrs old from someone who rescued her from a woman who did not take care of her. She was covered in fleas, had just had puppies and had been used as a puppy maker (shes pure bred). She sleeps with me, in fact we share a pillow. Still, I see good days, a smile on her face when she looks at me some times, and when I think it is time to put her to sleep she does something that reminds me of how she used to be.
My daughter, husband, son, and the woman who gave her to me all say it is time. That even though she is blind in one eye, deaf, senile, and otherwise healthy her quality of life is not what it once was. I know they are right. But I wouldnt want to be put to sleep just for being old? I just dont know what to do. To make it worse I rescued another dog, got her from the same woman I got this one from and I can so tell the different in personality and life now. All the things my lovely dog used to do this one does, and she does it with no problems at all, while mine just looks at me (not jealous either) and just sleeps all day.

Mama's give me advice. I feel like crap. I dont want to take my dog to the vet and say put her to sleep because she is old, or because she is not active, or whatever. I know she has medical issues, but do I wait for them to get worse?

Asked by gemgem at 8:37 AM on Oct. 9, 2011 in Pets

• I did it to our dog. She was 15; and we watched her deteriorate within about 6 months. I couldn't watch her suffer any more; she was blind, couldn't walk, wouldn't eat or drink. It was time to put her out of her misery. I did not want her to suffer and she was suffering. I'm sorry gemgem, it's not easy but i think it's time.

meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:31 AM on Oct. 9, 2011

• Oh, sweetie, it's hard, I know. I feel for you. But honestly, based on what you've said, it sounds like it's time. If she's trying to use the restroom inside, and she's going blind, and you're having to carry her down the steps....sweetie, it's time. I know it's hard because she's been your baby for so long.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 8:48 AM on Oct. 9, 2011

• Take her to the vet and let them make the decision. Then it is off of you and you'll know for sure you are doing the right thing. ((hugs))

Answer by Bmat at 8:52 AM on Oct. 9, 2011

• Bless your heart, I understand the love you have for your dog and what a difficult decision this would be to make but what quality of life does your dog have? I don't see it as giving up on her but sparing her. She can't let you know the pains she's feeling. Sorry, after reading what you said, I would want to spare her of her suffering before it gets worse. :(

anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 8:56 AM on Oct. 9, 2011

• It's so hard to know! We had a dalmatian that was my baby, she slept with me too and I just adored her. We let her go way too long though, because she always seemed happy and didn't seem like she was ever in any pain but she lost control of her bladder and bowels, and got so skinny. Then she lost the use of her back legs and we had to help her get up. That was too long and I feel bad about it now. I would say keep that in mind. Sounds like you've given her a wonderful life:) (((HUGS)))
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 9:00 AM on Oct. 9, 2011

• I'm with you on this one. I couldn't either. I would everything I could to make her comfortable. Sounds like she's on her way out.
    daps

Answer by daps at 8:44 AM on Oct. 9, 2011

• I think you have to step back from your emotional reaction and figure out if her quality of life is good enough to keep going or not. It's a really tough thing to decide; I'm sending you thought-hugs.

SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:44 AM on Oct. 9, 2011

• If the only problems are the ones mentioned, I wouldn't be ready just yet. We had to put our 14 year old German Shepherd down 2 years ago, what made it even harder is that we had inherited her from a dear friend who had passed suddenly. She held many memories of happier times and it made the decision twice as hard, but she had a cyst on one of her teats that had burst and caused a gaping wound and the vet refused to treat her because of her age. Before the cyst ruptured, her arthritis had become nearly unbearable and she winced every time she wanted to stand up, walking was painful for her, and so when the cyst ruptured, the decision had to be made. I don't think old age is reason enough to put her down, but if she is truly miserable and can not be treated and be comfortable, we sometimes have to do what's best for them. I'm so sorry you are going through this, good luck to you.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 8:53 AM on Oct. 9, 2011

• Yeah... I'd smack your husband if I were you. If it IS a good time, it's because she's ready, and not because she can be replaced. Even a new dog doesn't replace the old one in your heart. It just takes up residence in a different spot.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 9:29 AM on Oct. 9, 2011

• Logically I do think it is time, but I just dont think I can do it. Plus I dont want my vet to think I am just a bitch. My dogs are all so healthy that other than shots and yearly check ups the only time she sees me is to put someone to sleep. I had to put a kitten to sleep last year.

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 8:48 AM on Oct. 9, 2011